Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 12:48 AM

Eyesight

Okay well, I wasn't going to put this on the forum, but I feel the need to talk about it now.

Without meaning to labour the point, up until April when I had my mini-stroke, my eyesight was fine. In years gone by I'd had to wear glasses for long distance, being short-sighted but, as can be the case with myopia, my eyesight improved to the point where my glasses were a burden as I could see perfectly well without them, but I was told that the stroke could affect my eyesight.

Anyway, since April, I have noticed a deterioration in my eyesight, most especially at night so very soon I shall be visiting an optician because I do need glasses again.

Why haven't I done this before now? An eye test is free, but I can't afford new specs as I just don't have the money so I'm waiting for the Winter Heating Allowance to come through so that I'll be able to buy some.

Now then the question is this. If I took my old glasses to the new optician, would they fit new lenses into them for me, being a senior citizen, or would they insist on my buying new frames as well?

I know I could ask the optician this, but has anyone done this in the past?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 01:03 AM

Re: Eyesight

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Okay well, I wasn't going to put this on the forum, but I feel the need to talk about it now.

Without meaning to labour the point, up until April when I had my mini-stroke, my eyesight was fine. In years gone by I'd had to wear glasses for long distance, being short-sighted but, as can be the case with myopia, my eyesight improved to the point where my glasses were a burden as I could see perfectly well without them, but I was told that the stroke could affect my eyesight.

Anyway, since April, I have noticed a deterioration in my eyesight, most especially at night so very soon I shall be visiting an optician because I do need glasses again.

Why haven't I done this before now? An eye test is free, but I can't afford new specs as I just don't have the money so I'm waiting for the Winter Heating Allowance to come through so that I'll be able to buy some.

Now then the question is this. If I took my old glasses to the new optician, would they fit new lenses into them for me, being a senior citizen, or would they insist on my buying new frames as well?

I know I could ask the optician this, but has anyone done this in the past?
My mother's eyesight deteriorated after her first stroke and she also needed new glasses.

Regarding having new lens put into your present frames, yes, opticians should honour your decision.
I needed new lens when I went for my last check up and as I really liked my old frames (which did cost me a lot) I asked for the lens to be put into my old frames. They did it with no quibbling, so hopefully your optician will be the same. You could always ask if it would be possible before having your test ...... if not, then try a different optician Good luck!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 01:06 AM

Oh thank you for that information, Mags. I just hope the optician believes me this time when I say I can read perfectly well without the use of bifocals, vari-focals or any other kind of focals. ShouldN'T have gone to Specsavers!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 01:17 AM

Mollie sometimes an optician won't let you use old frames. I have had this request refused .

If you have a problem remember when you have you eyes tested you will receive a prescription for lense which you can have filled in at a place of your choosing.

I know a couple of people who have had their specs made up by an online company for a fraction of the price the high street opticians charge. I don't know which company they used but here is an example..
http://www.directsight.co.uk/?gclid=...FUQe4QoduHhnrg
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 01:21 AM

Oh thank you for that information, Mags. I just hope the optician believes me this time when I say I can read perfectly well without the use of bifocals, vari-focals or any other kind of focals. ShouldN'T have gone to Specsavers!
Perhaps I should add that my opticians were Dolland & Aitchison who have now been taken over by Boots Opticians.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

19-11-2011, 01:31 AM

Thanks again for replies, and for your link Meg, but I never buy anything online. Never have, never will.

There is an independent optician in my local village so I shall make enquiries of them.

There is also a Boots within a mile of where I live, so I might contact them as well to see what my best options are.

It is such an inconvenience as I have gone years without the need of glasses and, truth be known, I'm fine driving during the day, but it's my night vision which is now giving me cause for concern and the fact that I'm actually aware of the deterioration is giving me a lot of worry as well.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Comment from across the Pond: they will do it here, but they have told me on occasion that the new lenses wouldn't fit with the old frames; I've never known if that was actually true or they just wanted me to buy a new one. Good luck!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 06:09 PM

Thanks again for replies, and for your link Meg, but I never buy anything online. Never have, never will.

There is an independent optician in my local village so I shall make enquiries of them.

There is also a Boots within a mile of where I live, so I might contact them as well to see what my best options are.

It is such an inconvenience as I have gone years without the need of glasses and, truth be known, I'm fine driving during the day, but it's my night vision which is now giving me cause for concern and the fact that I'm actually aware of the deterioration is giving me a lot of worry as well.
You may well do best at the independent optician Mollie. I'm not a big fan of Boots opticians - they always seem expensive, even with the offers. I go to an independent and I think they provide a better service than the big chains.

Please don't put off having your eyes tested Mollie, especially if you are having problems with night vision. I know my eyes have changed with age and I wouldn't miss having my eye test every couple of years. Eye tests show up other things to do with your health - it's not simply a vision test. Best wishes and I hope everything is OK.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Yes I have just had my readers changed and asked to use my old frames, you cant keep changing both frames and lenses, they are so expensive these days. Good luck Mollie.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
You may well do best at the independent optician Mollie. I'm not a big fan of Boots opticians - they always seem expensive, even with the offers.
Having spent years going to Boots for my specs ( I always waited till they had half price frames on offer) I went to an independent Optician and found it was a complete disaster .

Not only did my specs cost me well over twice as much as I had ever paid at Boots but the specs lenses were so strong I couldn't see through them at all, they were unusable. I went back and they changed the lenses free of charge but I still have a problem with them so they are rarely used, I revert to using the previous pair.

I haven't been to an optician for 4 years so really should go again. I think I will be going back to Boots when they have an offer available .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top