Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Re: Mammograms

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I to am interested in what Jem has to say. Yes indeed we poor ladies have all sorts of horrors, and don't get me started on smear tests.
I do understand what you Ladies go through, and it's great to see you having a bit of fun about medical subjects. Cate, I am aware of all you went through yourself and to come out smiling is an inspiration to us all. Some people laugh at these things and some don't, thats fair enough. I'm a believer in laughter being a very good medicine, indeed I remember in the 50's when TB was rampant here, musicians and comedians regularly visited the sanitoriums to cheer the patients up.
It has been scientifically proven the Women have a higher pain threshold than men, and who's to argue with that, you even got science on your side now.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Crickey, I've got my third one in three weeks! You are so right about laughter helping, when I went for my first my boss terrified me. He brought two house bricks in to work and kept slamming them together, we used to sit opposite each other. It did make me laugh and when I got back I was delighted that it hadn't hurt anywhere near as I was dreading. Being very tiny up top it hurts less I think.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Crickey, I've got my third one in three weeks! You are so right about laughter helping, when I went for my first my boss terrified me. He brought two house bricks in to work and kept slamming them together, we used to sit opposite each other. It did make me laugh and when I got back I was delighted that it hadn't hurt anywhere near as I was dreading. Being very tiny up top it hurts less I think.
Ahh yes the bricks reminds me of when my husband had a vasectomy.

JemfluxYou are a gentleman and I thank you. I have laughed my way through all kinds of trauma. Really laughter is the best medicine. I was a psychiatric nurse and the patients often asked if I were really a nurse or a patient with delusions.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2012, 12:02 AM

Agood one but so true specially if you are a larger lady like wot I am.
Me too, I always find it hard placing them on that machine.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2012, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Me too, I always find it hard placing them on that machine.
I know and that starts the giggling and the ladies are soo politically correct it makes me laugh more.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2012, 12:46 AM

not looking forward to august this year the big sqwish
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2012, 02:47 AM

I think perhaps I should explain myself in this topic. As to the smear test, that is only necessary for sexually active women but, if they haven't been for at least five years, then the test is unnecessary, and I haven't been. I used to be sent for from my surgery once a year and I went, but it isn't necessary any longer.

As to the mammography tests, and I'm not sure how to put this politely, but the bigger the breasts, the more likely is the fear of breast cancer, and I don't fall into that category and, as I said, I do check myself regularly, as I would hope all ladies would do.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2012, 04:07 AM

I know and that starts the giggling and the ladies are soo politically correct it makes me laugh more.
Same here, and when they say, "just hold your arm up a bit, relax your shoulder, just turn slightly this way....." you think, oh just hurry up will you!

Just a thought sprang to my mind......what about the women that have had breast implants.....do they ever have to have mammograms? I would have thought it would do more harm than good.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Breast cancer screening cannot be justified, says researcher
Book argues harm outweighs small number of lives saved, and accuses mammography supporters of misconduct.

How much longer should we allow the cancer promotion industry to create additional cancers and involve women in unnecessary procedures and unnecessary stress. People who have been monitoring the statistics have known for over 12 years we are causing more cancers than we are saving and therefore making the situation worse rather than saving lives.

We have to change the climate of opinion so intelligent people see how they are being misled. There are plenty of things you can do to lower your risk of breast (and prostate cancer) and screening only promotes cancer incidence. It doesn't save lives.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

19-02-2012, 11:42 AM

It is ver hard to argue with the NHS, I mean they must spend thousands doing these breast tests. I do however, believe that when we get to a certain age men and women all get to know this body they have inhabited for maybe 60 years and notice changes that this body may show.

I for one noticed a change in the actions of my body and immediately saw my doctor who in turn sent me for tests at the hospital. I had to have a hysterectomy to remove cancer cells. I lost a lot of weight which is unusual for me unless I am trying really hard and I began bleeding again after many years of not doing so.

This did not come about because of a smear test rather than I took responsibility for my own body and my GP did the rest.

Ladies and gentlemen need to watch their bodies closely for signs of illness. Your body will tell you when it is not working as it should and it is up to you to take the appropriate action.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top