Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Loss of appetite with age.

It's only been in the last five or so years but I've noticed that my appetite is getting smaller and sometimes I have to force myself to eat. The strangest thing is that I have always hadd a sweet tooth but just can't eat anything sweet anymore, it just doesn't appeal to me.
Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Re: Loss of appetite with age.

Are you less active than you were?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hu99 ->
It's only been in the last five or so years but I've noticed that my appetite is getting smaller and sometimes I have to force myself to eat. The strangest thing is that I have always hadd a sweet tooth but just can't eat anything sweet anymore, it just doesn't appeal to me.
Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
Thank goodness no, it's not happened to me, my whole life pretty much revolves around the next meal time....
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
Are you less active than you were?
A little but my job is still very physical. In the past year i've lost 6 inches from my waist. My doctor says nothing's wrong.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 07:04 PM

If you've been to the doctor about it then I would say don't worry. Do you smoke?
I've heard that quite often, especially amongst smokers, taste and smell decreases with age and can lead to a loss of appetite.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 07:06 PM

I wish I love my food,
.. and I can hear Uncle Joe behind me echoing this with a huge plate of suet dumplings ...

I think our tastes change as we get older, I now prefer savoury things to sweet.

Lloyd, I see you are just a youngster of 50, if you have lost your appetite I think maybe a health check would be a good idea.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 07:20 PM

I love my food
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada

11-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
Do you smoke?
I've heard that quite often, especially amongst smokers, taste and smell decreases with age and can lead to a loss of appetite.
I do smoke, I guess that could be the reason.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hu99 ->
I do smoke, I guess that could be the reason.
I smoke too Lloyd, and I find my appetite varies, some days I'll eat a lot when I'm doing nothing, but when I'm working in the workshop I nearly forget about eating...until herself shouts out. And yes, I'm gone off sweet things too.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 09:10 PM

My appetite also varies, but I've never been a big eater, and rarely have anything sweet, preferring savoury.

I don't like not eating though as I'm trying to gain a bit of weight, and if I don't eat when my body tells me to, I get dizzy and I start shaking, but I'm not diabetic.

If the doc says there's nothing wrong, then I'd monitor any weight loss and, if it gets a bit too extreme, I'd go again and ask for any tests that may give some answers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top