Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Re: Loss of appetite with age.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I wish I love my food,
.. and I can hear Uncle Joe behind me echoing this with a huge plate of suet dumplings ...

I think our tastes change as we get older, I now prefer savoury things to sweet.

Lloyd, I see you are just a youngster of 50, if you have lost your appetite I think maybe a health check would be a good idea.

Absolutely Meg darlin' - I relish all my food and eat large plates of it!!!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2012, 03:02 PM

I don't eat as much as I used to. A three course meal is wasted on me ... I'm full after the soup
In fact, I'd prefer a pasta starter and then dessert.
The more you worry Lloyd, the worse you'll feel and it will just exacerbate the whole situation. Just monitor your weight and eating habits and then take the findings back to the doctor in a few months, if you are not happy.

Just the response I'd thought you'd make UJ
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Oh I wish! I LOVE food and have to watch portion size all the time and this didn't start (that watching of portion size) until my mid 40's.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 06:49 PM

I eat loads and I'm not that active I wish my appetite would just go away for about 3 months give me chance to get a big thinner
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 07:09 PM

No, no, no Claire and Poppy - wrong!!!! - just like your car will stop if you don't put fuel in the tank, so too will your body cease to function properly if you don't put fuel (food) in it.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2012, 03:33 AM

Well, I've no wish to be disrespectful, but anyone who considers themselves to be overweight, the only thing you can do is not to eat so much. Surely that's the answer?

Fair enough, I've never been in that situation, but if you apply basic logic, all you have to do is eat less and that's really not a difficult thing to do.

However, this thread is about something totally different, so let's not get off topic.

I couldn't eat a three course meal if my life depended on it. Some days I can eat a good meal, and some days, I pick and pike at stuff. I have never eaten three full meals a day in my life because, quite honestly, I think that's too much and isn't healthy, and I've been shocked at what some folk do eat having read the topic in Food & Drink. However, everybody is different and everybody's metabolism is different. Don't get me wrong, I love my food, but I have intentionally denied myself from eating in order not to gain weight, but I haven't starved myself either.

Folk whinge about being over-weight, and the remedy is in their own hands, but you're worrying about losing weight, which is a different thing altogether. If you're concerned, then see your doctor again and monitor your weight loss.

Over the last few months, I've gained an extra half a stone, taking me up to just short of 8 stones, and I'm thrilled to bits.
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Thank goodness no, it's not happened to me, my whole life pretty much revolves around the next meal time....

That's cute! I'm still giggling.

I love to eat. . . as long as it's not my cooking! And frozen foods are the most horrible. . .horrible stuff.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

15-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mlee ->

That's cute! I'm still giggling.

I love to eat. . . as long as it's not my cooking! And frozen foods are the most horrible. . .horrible stuff.
But Mlee darlin' they are a convenient way of storing food for a later time prior to use. I would agree the complete meals are rubbish and I do not buy or eat them, but my freezer contains frozen meats and vegetables which I use in particular quantities and store the remainder for further use some time subsequently. My mobility is compromised by Arthritis and there is no way I could shop and carry fresh food on a daily basis, hence my freezer is an essential piece of my kitchen equipment.

There is very little difference in taste between fresh or frozen vegetables and in our modern society freezing meat for later use is also a necessity.
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
But Mlee darlin' they are a convenient way of storing food for a later time prior to use. I would agree the complete meals are rubbish and I do not buy or eat them, but my freezer contains frozen meats and vegetables which I use in particular quantities and store the remainder for further use some time subsequently. My mobility is compromised by Arthritis and there is no way I could shop and carry fresh food on a daily basis, hence my freezer is an essential piece of my kitchen equipment.

There is very little difference in taste between fresh or frozen vegetables and in our modern society freezing meat for later use is also a necessity.
Oh. . .I do freeze our meat. I purchase a months supply and separate into each meal.
Frozen vegies! Blah! Yuk. . .lol. No way!
My tummy just can't take it. There may be some I could handle but don't realize it yet.
A few times I have purchased a bag of frozen vegies for dinner and had to throw it out. Even the girls (dogs) wouldn't eat it.

You're not kidding about the freezer being one of the most important appliance.
It takes care of our month's supply of meat and poultry.

Growing up, dad always had a garden. One of the can stuff we'd purchase would be the ketchup/tomatoe sauce. Though we had fresh tomatoes.

The guy across the street grew mushrooms in a building.

It was so hard for me to get used to buying vegies at the store because they come from "cold storage." Not fresh picked. The cold storage can hold lettuce for almost a year.
Fruits too.

We do have those fruits and veggies that were picked a couple of weeks ago. But still not the same.
I tried growing eatables but I found bugs on them. Ugly bugs. So I gave up.

Don't like poisons in my yard. Have too many bears and other critters that may get poisoned from me using such things.

Uncle Joe,
I bet you're a good cook huh? Not me. Horrible cook.
I can't do anything about it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

16-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Mlee darlin' - I'm not the one to comment on my cooking, but since I live alone and do cook my own food, haven't suffered food poisoning yet. Others that have visited me and ate at my table do say that I am a good cook.

Learning to cook was a necessity when as a teenager at home parents wanted to go away on holiday. VERY UNCOOL to be on holiday with your parents!!! and I positively would NOT eat out of cans and packets, so before they went away, Dragon (my Mother) taught me to cook and so when they went away on holiday I was capable of looking after myself.

As the years went by I learned to 'experiment' in the kitchen and before Dragon died last year, she said I was a better cook than her.

Only on Saturday last, finding a loaf of bread beginning to 'go off' I rescued some of the slices and made myself a tray of bread pudding (a food I adore but still can't find the right mixture that my Grandmother used to make).

Others on here will tell you I eat many things. There is a butcher close to me that is able to obtain 'safari' meats, so I've eaten: Buffalo, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich, Water Buffalo, and Zebra.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top