Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Re: Loss of appetite with age.

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Mlee darlin' - I'm not the one to comment on my cooking, but since I live alone and do cook my own food, haven't suffered food poisoning yet. Others that have visited me and ate at my table do say that I am a good cook.

Learning to cook was a necessity when as a teenager at home parents wanted to go away on holiday. VERY UNCOOL to be on holiday with your parents!!! and I positively would NOT eat out of cans and packets, so before they went away, Dragon (my Mother) taught me to cook and so when they went away on holiday I was capable of looking after myself.

As the years went by I learned to 'experiment' in the kitchen and before Dragon died last year, she said I was a better cook than her.

Only on Saturday last, finding a loaf of bread beginning to 'go off' I rescued some of the slices and made myself a tray of bread pudding (a food I adore but still can't find the right mixture that my Grandmother used to make).

Others on here will tell you I eat many things. There is a butcher close to me that is able to obtain 'safari' meats, so I've eaten: Buffalo, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich, Water Buffalo, and Zebra.
I'm so sorry about your mom. I dread that day when my mom leaves. She's a great-great-grandmother. 5 generations alive.

I've eaten buffalo at the restaurants and a few times found it at the grocery store. Pretty darn good flavor. Reminds me of Jerky flavor but very tender.
The only thing I can cook are steaks, ribs and poultry. Oh, some Mexican and Oriental foods. That's it.

I only started cooking after I got married. I didn't even know how to make a sandwich, except for my own self. Dad was the cook in the house.
My brother and my sons do the cooking for their family also. I happened to have married a man that pretends he knows nothing about the kitchen!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Mlee darlin' - if you haven't already got one, might I suggest you invest in the purchase of a slow cooker, you will find it invaluable. I wouldn't be without mine!!! - With all the 'safari' meat, to tenderise it, I make up a marinade 1/3rds - Soy Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce and Blasamic vinegar. When the meat is ready to cook, strain off the marinade, toss in plain flour and flash fry (to seal in the flavour) for approx 4 - 5 mins with an onion and some garlic. Remove from frying pan and place in slow cooker. Add gravy browning and a stock cube to the marinade, peel and chop whatever vegetables you wish and add into the frying pan, Pour the marinade over the veg and bring to the boil (it will thicken because of the plain flour). When it does, scoop out the veg and the marinade and add to the meat in the slow cooker. Switch on and leave to cook for approx 4 - 5 hours.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2012, 05:54 PM

I've noticed I have less appetite the past year or so. Have to make a point of eating regularly.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I've noticed I have less appetite the past year or so. Have to make a point of eating regularly.
Annie darlin' - that's not good!!! - You MUST eat. Think of the body as a car, if you don't put fuel in it, it will grind to a halt. Food is the body's fuel, Some of us (me) keep our tanks well topped up ()
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Annie darlin' - that's not good!!! - You MUST eat. Think of the body as a car, if you don't put fuel in it, it will grind to a halt. Food is the body's fuel, Some of us (me) keep our tanks well topped up ()
I know, I really do, but I just don't have the appetite.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2012, 05:27 PM

Let me get this right ............ if I want to increase my appetite and take this stuff it'll work and I will gain weight, which I want. On no ... wait a minute, on the diet thread it helps us to lose weight. What the?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Yes I am the same,have no appetite at all now but do make sure I have breakfast,Branflakes and a cup of tea and then we eat at night,I wouldnt bother for myself but cook for Joe.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

03-05-2012, 07:20 PM

People, people, people, unless your doctors have prescribed Warfarin for you, might I suggest either whole Grapefruit or Grapefruit juice in the mornings. Its sharpness wakes up the taste buds and stirs your digestive system and makes you hungry.
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2012, 10:33 PM

People, people, people, unless your doctors have prescribed Warfarin for you, might I suggest either whole Grapefruit or Grapefruit juice in the mornings. Its sharpness wakes up the taste buds and stirs your digestive system and makes you hungry.

Hi Joe.......re Grapefruit.....I am on Simvastatin and therefore must NOT eat Grapefruit or Grapefruit juice.

Back to Topic......I used to have a very BIG appetite but as I got older I havent the same appetite......No longer have the big English Breakfasts.....Cereal or toast is enough. I can still eat a big tea/dinner if someone cooked it for me
To be quite honest I am sick to death cooking for 2 day in day out.
Age.....I bet I am the oldest on here.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2012, 01:05 AM

I have never eaten breakfast in my life, not even as a child, because I just couldn't. Mum would make us something for breakfast, but both my younger brother and myself could just not eat before school.

We enjoyed our school dinners though and always came home to a good cooked meal.

However, there is no way I could eat a cooked lunch these days, and I take a sandwich to work with me so, by the time I get home I am hungry and I do cook myself something substantial.

Just occasionally though, I can be hungry when I get home, but haven't a clue what for, so I wait until my taste-buds go into action, then act accordingly, whatever the time, as long as it isn't after 9 p.m.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top