Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 02:10 AM

Blood Donors

Have you ever given blood, and do you know your blood group? It's important that you do know, in case of serious accident.

My story on giving blood is this:

In or around 1982 my husband was posted to Tidworth in Hampshire, where we lived. An Army medical team came to the barracks where I was working and, as I'd never given blood before, I thought it was something I should do.

I went along to a dormitory where lots of beds were lined up on each side of the room; I filled in a form; then I had to lie on a bed where a needle was placed into my arm, and there was a bottle on the floor to catch my contribution.

The soldiers came and went after 5 minutes or so, and I was still there half an hour later when I called over a nurse and asked how much longer I'd be. They looked inside the bottle, and there was just two inches of my blood, which was the darkest red. They stopped the process and told me that my blood was (at that time) too thick! I was too tight to give a pint!

I was thanked, but to never attempt to give blood again; but one thing I did learn, and that was that I'm A positive.

I'm now on a blood thinning tablets, but they said at that time that my blood was so thick that I'd never bleed to death!

Has anyone else got experiences of this?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Re: Blood Donors

Did you get yourself fully checked out Mollie after your experience of giving blood?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 09:54 AM

I never heard of thick blood before Mollie, did you find out if it's fairly normal to have it or is it a rare thing (Like you). Try a glass of turpentine , only messin'.
Seriously, I'm one of those people who's terrified of the sight of blood and have spent all my life trying to avoid the sight of it, especially my own.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Only ever heard of blood thinners used for prevention of blood clotting ie. strokes and heart attacks. Never heard of anyone having thick blood before. Is that what caused your stoke? What is the condition called?
I was a donor for many years and I'm A Negative.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Tighter than a duck's backside you Mollie

Mesco, I'm sure Mollie only went on blood thinners after her stroke, to try and prevent another on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 11:27 AM

I gave blood for many years and received a little medal
I stopped when I retired. Also my BP is often over the limit which makes me inelligable.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 11:43 AM

The reason I asked Mollie if she had been checked out at the time was because there are conditions where thickening of the blood is one of the symptoms, e.g. Waldenström's Macroglobulinemia.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 11:53 AM

I'm very surprised you weren't told to contact your doctor when your blood was discovered to be too thick, Mollie
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 12:26 PM

I'm not allowed to give blood as i'm Epileptic. I did try once but they wouldnt have me. My brother has given it all his life though
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 02:44 PM

welcome to the club Lynne,now there are two of us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top