Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Re: Complete Ban on Smoking for young people?

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Whilst it is probably impossible to ban tobacco smoking completely as it has been legal for so long, making it an activity to be indulged in behind closed doors when no children are present seems the way to go.
Behind closed doors?...isn't that indoors? Surely it's safer for third parties if they're smoked outdoors? Or aren't we bothered about the non smokers that live with the smokers?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Whilst it is probably impossible to ban tobacco smoking completely as it has been legal for so long, making it an activity to be indulged in behind closed doors when no children are present seems the way to go.
Problem with that is you could never police it. Sure, you can ban smoking anywhere but in one's own home, but you can't police whether or not children are present there!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 04:17 PM

How about banning people who can't speak properly..innit? And banning fat people from appearing in public. Ban gambling. Ban alcohol. Ban celebrity programmes. Ban violent films. Ban homework.
Some restaurants want children banned ?
The EU want to ban cars from cities by 2050...fine by me.

Ban nuclear. Ban the bomb. Ban wars. Ban imports.
I'm sure OAP's will be banned from living past 70 soon. (we are too expensive and a dreadful drain on the NHS. And what useful purpose do we serve?)

Ban landmines. Ban aeroplanes. Ban coffee. Ban free speech and swearing. Ban women from voting..what do we know, anyway? Ban religion. Ban the burka. Ban nuns.
Ban people with verbal diahorrea.
Ban economic and social development. Ban Earth summits, they can't even agree on the bare bones of a plan!

We are heading towards the end of our future...when you are dealing with such important and serious matters as smoking, you have to address these issues very seriously.

Ban everything that gives people pleasure.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

16-06-2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Problem with that is you could never police it. Sure, you can ban smoking anywhere but in one's own home, but you can't police whether or not children are present there!
Smoking in front of children should be illegal because of the damage it can do to their lungs, it is as abusive as any other form of physical mistreatment. Parents who smoke should be warned that engaging in this activity when their children are present could result in them being taken into care.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 06:44 PM

I am amused by the irony of the fact that most of us now being a burden on all the public services because we're living too long, were all brought up in houses where virtually everyone smoked!....
Ptolemy
Lancs
Ptolemy is male 

17-06-2012, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
How about banning people who can't speak properly..innit? And banning fat people from appearing in public. Ban gambling. Ban alcohol. Ban celebrity programmes. Ban violent films. Ban homework.
Some restaurants want children banned ?
The EU want to ban cars from cities by 2050...fine by me.

Ban nuclear. Ban the bomb. Ban wars. Ban imports.
I'm sure OAP's will be banned from living past 70 soon. (we are too expensive and a dreadful drain on the NHS. And what useful purpose do we serve?)

Ban landmines. Ban aeroplanes. Ban coffee. Ban free speech and swearing. Ban women from voting..what do we know, anyway? Ban religion. Ban the burka. Ban nuns.
Ban people with verbal diahorrea.
Ban economic and social development. Ban Earth summits, they can't even agree on the bare bones of a plan!

We are heading towards the end of our future...when you are dealing with such important and serious matters as smoking, you have to address these issues very seriously.

Ban everything that gives people pleasure.
I recommend a read of Frank Davies's blog, regarding smoking and the silly SHS rubbish, where in 1975 at the WHO conference, it was suggested by Lord Godber that it should be "perceived" that smoking causes ill health to those all around.

Frank Davies blog
GoldenYears
Japan
GoldenYears is male  GoldenYears has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 02:59 AM

Actually, the percentage of smokers has dropped from around 63% in the sixties to around 23% today. I think educating the young on the dangers of smoking and gradually increasing the price of tabacco will help bring the numbers down even more. At the moment obesity seems to be a bigger problem.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenYears ->
Actually, the percentage of smokers has dropped from around 63% in the sixties to around 23% today.
That's a similar figure to the UK (I think I read somewhere it is 25%) it is below 18% in Australia.
GoldenYears
Japan
GoldenYears is male  GoldenYears has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That's a similar figure to the UK (I think I read somewhere it is 25%) it is below 18% in Australia.
Sorry, I was quoting British figures. The smoking rate in Japan hit an all-time low of 19.5 percent in 2010, down 3.9 percent from the preceding year according to Japan’s health ministry.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 08:04 AM

I don't agree with this at all its a nanny state enough as it is. People should make their own choices and be able to smoke if they want to. The smoking ban in pubs has had a very bad effect on their trade and should never have happened in the way it has. Pubs should have been given the choice so you would have had some where smoking is permitted and some where its not, clearly displayed so everyone knows and everyone is happy. As had been said it will be impossible to police as well as cannabis is smoked widely and they can't control that.

Each to their own to make an informed choice thats what I say.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top