Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:55 AM

Sticking to a Healthy Lifestyle

I have a hard time getting motivated to do exercise. It's made my diabetes hard to control until just recently. Because I'm now retired I have plenty of time on my hands so I decided to start walking places instead of driving. I started with my daily trip to McDonald's for coffee and sometimes breakfast. It's one mile from my apartment.

I started getting more enthusiastic when I noticed that after a walk my blood sugar levels were getting really low. This encouraged me to continue the 2 mile round trip and start adding to it by walking to my favorite grocery store, a 2 1/2 mile round trip.

Now my car & scooter are catching a lot of dust because I've added a local barber shop & my dentist to the equation. I actually wore myself out yesterday making multiple trips, all on foot. My blood pressure is down to 118/62 and my blood sugars are at 96, a very good indicator that my diabetes is once again under control.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 10:11 AM

Re: Sticking to a Healthy Lifestyle

Good for you Bob that is very inspiring news .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Hi Bob, I've never been one for taking exercise for exercise's sake but I'm fairly active doing things either out of necessity eg cleaning windows,etc. or doing things that I like doing eg gardening, walking in the countryside, etc.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 10:27 AM

My intention is certainly not to preach as I'm new to this exercise regimen. I can simply testify that it has straightened out a number of my health issues. My blood pressure & sugar hasn't been this good in years. I intend to keep it up and continue to work it into my everyday routines.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 01:03 PM

Exercise is good for the Mind as well as the Body. After Pashka died last January I stopped my Daily Walks along the Beach or through Dunnet Woods as I hated walking on my own. Now that Wee Dageus is almost 14 Weeks, had his Jabs and I've started Walking every day again I feel a lot better in my self, I've also noticed my Knees are not so stiff as they were either....So my Daily Walks are certainly doing me a lot of good, The Laird says I'm not so Grumpy either lol. Looking forward to Dageus getting older so we can start Hill Walking again too.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 01:47 PM

That's good news Bob it must also be lifting your spirits to see the improvement in your health. I hope you are able to continue with your exercise routine...
GoldenYears
Japan
GoldenYears is male  GoldenYears has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Exercise is important to maintain good health and ward of diseases. Keep up the good walk Bob.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

26-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by LifeAndLifting ->
Bob,

I actually just started a blog about healthy habits, and the first couple of posts are aimed at getting started and staying motivated.

Check it out if you are interested.

[mod edit ]
Thanks for the link.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top