Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Living With Diabetes

I've been a Type II diabetic since 2006. It was a sudden onset not long after a bout with Congestive Heart Failure that almost killed me. That seems like a lifetime ago.

After many years on Metformin & Glipizide the medications stopped working properly. My A1C test results sank from 6.5 to 10.8 in just over a year. I tried serious dieting but nothing was effective. My new doctor placed me on lose dosage insulin which I've been taking over the past 5 days.

Exercise seems to be the missing ingredient. I've started walking at least two miles a day, expanding it to as much as 5 miles if I go shopping or visit the zoo.

It's a slow process but I'm turning around the numbers. I read 109 on my daily blood sugar test yesterday and have been below 135 all week. The most drastic difference has been my blood pressure which read 112/58 yesterday. That's actually a tad low so if it continues maybe my doctor will consider backing off on some of my medications.

I still have a long way to go but I'm sticking with the program. I'm reading nutritional data on food, counting carbs to keep them below 60grams per meal. That's the level I need to control as a diabetic who wants to lose weight.

I'm attending diabetic classes at the Veteran's Medical Center on a weekly basis. Knowledge is power. I'm taking care to inspect my feet often and if I have problems, like Plantar's Wart. tendonitis or just sore feet, I back off for a day to let it all heal. So far, so good.

I'm due for another battery of test in mid-July so I'm getting as healthy as I can. I'm encouraged by my medical team at the VA Clinic. I'm not thrilled to be shooting insulin into my groin every morning so my immediate goal is to improve to the point where that might end. Diabetes is a progressive disease that won't get better by itself and won't just go away. Ignore it or abuse the life changes necessary and the consequences will humble, cripple & finally kill you.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Re: Living With Diabetes

Bob, your positive attitude towards your health is to be commended, well done!
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 03:14 PM

Bob. My Hubby has type 11 as well. It was controlled quite well with the same tablets as you for a few years but at the beginning of the year he contracted Polymyalgia Rheumatica - an auto immune illness for which he has to take steroids. Since he started taking them his Blood Sugar went haywire & he has had to start taking insulin as well. Its been trial & error up to now. He has to have two injections a day. A few weeks ago he had to swap to a different one as they thought he must be allergic to either the metal on the needle or the needle wasnt long enough & he was itching all over the site of the injection. It was driving him mad. The trouble with him as well, with this Polymyalgia is it makes all his joints ache & makes walking difficult so he's not getting enough exercise & his weight is climbing a bit now as well.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Bob, your positive attitude towards your health is to be commended, well done!
My thoughts too Bob!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
Bob. My Hubby has type 11 as well. It was controlled quite well with the same tablets as you for a few years but at the beginning of the year he contracted Polymyalgia Rheumatica - an auto immune illness for which he has to take steroids. Since he started taking them his Blood Sugar went haywire & he has had to start taking insulin as well. Its been trial & error up to now. He has to have two injections a day. A few weeks ago he had to swap to a different one as they thought he must be allergic to either the metal on the needle or the needle wasnt long enough & he was itching all over the site of the injection. It was driving him mad. The trouble with him as well, with this Polymyalgia is it makes all his joints ache & makes walking difficult so he's not getting enough exercise & his weight is climbing a bit now as well.
That's alarming news to be sure. I just got back from a 4-5 mile walk after an early breakfast. That's a personal record and I'm exhausted. But, my blood sugar just checked at 92, which is remarkably low.

I'm taking 5cc of Glargine, a slow acting insulin, once a day to supplement my Glipizide & Metformin pills. I don't know if my exercise/carb counting diet or the insulin is making the big difference but I'm doing better than my 212 reading a few weeks ago. I intend to walk everywhere I can. I may need a nap today. LOL
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
But, my blood sugar just checked at 92, which is remarkably low.

I'm taking 5cc of Glargine, a slow acting insulin, once a day to supplement my Glipizide & Metformin pills. I don't know if my exercise/carb counting diet or the insulin is making the big difference but I'm doing better than my 212 reading a few weeks ago. I intend to walk everywhere I can. I may need a nap today. LOL
Well done Bob. Hubby is due to reduce his steroids next week & is expecting the pain to be more severe again. When he reduces the Steroids he has to play about with the insulin to try to get the dose right again He's had a few Hypo's as well.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top