Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Re: Hospital efficiency

Graham matey, what you really need is one of these: http://www.willowbrook.co.uk/recliner-range.php

I have the 'Hampton' chair - cost me £1595.00 but it was well worth the expenditure, now wouldn't be without me super chair!!!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 10:02 PM

I had a bad experience in Spain about 5 years ago, I went to the hospital with a rash which I new what it was, they argued it wasn't.
I went back to the UK the next day only to be rushed into my local hospital, and there I stayed for a week.
If I hadn't have been coming back to the UK, I could have been in a serious condition after a few days.
I had vasculitis a life threatening condition which attacks the veins. I blame them but perhaps they have never come across the condition before.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 12:36 AM

Graham honest, like I said, I do respect anyone who can inject themselves, but I can't even watch the nurses doing it to me, never mind to it myself.

I may or may not have said that I have to go to the clinic every evening at no later than 4.15 for potentially the next six weeks and believe me, these are painful. I don't mind 'em taking blood from me, but shoving stuff into me belly isn't at all pleasant.

Tonight the Sister asked me if I could do it myself and I apologised for taking up their valuable time, but she said there was no problem at all. It only takes seconds, but I'm not a needle person. I don't even have pierced ears! I don't even sew!

The reason I'm having Fragmin injections is because of a suspected DVT.
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Graham matey, what you really need is one of these: http://www.willowbrook.co.uk/recliner-range.php

I have the 'Hampton' chair - cost me £1595.00 but it was well worth the expenditure, now wouldn't be without me super chair!!!
i looked at some recliner chairs on sunday and i sat in one just to see if it was comfortable and i then looked to see where the buttons were and my darling grandaugher said its ok nanny i'll do it (shes 18!!!!) she pressed a button and i went backwards with my legs flying up in the air and i screamed!!!....it gave me a shock but we couldnt stop laughing...

sorry ive digressed a bit there...re the nhs i can honestly say it is brilliant i cant fault it and long may it reign...
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Graham honest, like I said, I do respect anyone who can inject themselves, but I can't even watch the nurses doing it to me, never mind to it myself.

I may or may not have said that I have to go to the clinic every evening at no later than 4.15 for potentially the next six weeks and believe me, these are painful. I don't mind 'em taking blood from me, but shoving stuff into me belly isn't at all pleasant.

Tonight the Sister asked me if I could do it myself and I apologised for taking up their valuable time, but she said there was no problem at all. It only takes seconds, but I'm not a needle person. I don't even have pierced ears! I don't even sew!

The reason I'm having Fragmin injections is because of a suspected DVT.
Although I had never given myself injections prior to my op, I had been giving one of my dogs twice daily injections for diabetese. The vet told me to go to the surgery and they would walk me through it daily till I got the hang of it, I had to in 3 days as I was going to hopital for a cardioversion and wouldn't have time to go to vets beforehand. Amazing what you can do when necessary, and no use saying I can't do it cos if you don't do it the dog dies. Never thought I'd be able to do it on myself though but thought well if Major didn't yelp it can't have been that bad.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 01:23 AM

Hazel I do know exactly what you mean lass, and if one of my cats had to have me injecting them, it wouldn't have been a problem for me as I'd have done it, but not on myself.

When I'm watching Casualty or Holby City, I have to look away when a needle's going into somebody, never mind myself. It's just something I can definitely not do.

I've got a belly full of bruises. It only takes seconds, but by heck it doesn't half hurt.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 07:13 AM

Before the series of operations I have had over these past eight years, I too have had to have a series of injections - Tenzaparin (similar to Heparin) which has to injected directly into the stomach. Have had District Nurses call on me and administer these injections - they are painful (they cause massive bruising) but are essential.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

13-07-2012, 12:02 AM

Indeed they are Geoff. I was originally told at A&E that a District Nurse would visit me to give me these injections but, as I am mobile, it would be a waste of their resources to come to me as quite literally, the clinic where I go, is on my way home from work.

I don't know why, but these injections have to be given at no later than 1615 hours every day for six weeks. I had to do some juggling with my working hours as I don't normally finish until 1630 and it's a 15 minute drive from work to the clinic, but I do have a good boss, thank goodness!

Without straying too far from the origins of this thread, I do find the NHS and all of their doctors and nurses do a remarkable job, much of it in the face of adversity.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

18-07-2012, 02:06 AM

Update on this. On Monday I was given an appointment to go to the VTE Unit to have a scan, and there's been no blood clot in my leg. The injections in my tummy were, as it turned out, unnecessary, but they were a precaution, so I is a happy bunny now!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 02:25 AM

I had this same problem 4 weeks ago, I had a terrific pain down my thigh, and by golly it hurt.
It was a Sunday so couldn't go and see anybody but A&E, so to be on the safe side I thought first I would ring NHS direct, but in the meantime I looked down at my leg and it was going black below the knee.
NHS direct had an ambulance at my house in 5 minutes, I spent a couple of hours be examined, and then they sent me home to attend in the morning for a scan.
It wasn't DVT but narrowing of the artery, I know have to see the consultant, which was scheduled for the 31st of last month, but of course they went on strike, so now it's the 2nd of August.
Those injections are brilliant, the next morning I was back to normal and haven't had a repeat since.
Fingers crossed for us both.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top