Join for free
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2012, 03:01 PM

Handicapped parking

The city of Ottawa is trying to find ways of stopping the misuse of handicapped parking by family and friends of those who are issued the special permits. It's a problem here too.

Have you ever accosted someone who has parked in a handicapped spot, without a permit visible on the car, and who appears to be healthy enough to walk from the regular parking area? I did once - a young woman who sat in the driver's seat while her agile and healthy boyfriend jumped out and went into the bank. I suggested she move to another parking spot to free up the handicapped spot for someone who might need it. She got rude and told me to F off. I walked away.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

29-06-2012, 05:42 PM

Re: Handicapped parking

Many healthy people over here wrongly park in parking spaces reserved for the disabled (the word handicapped is frowned upon these days in the UK). My husband was entitled to a disabled parking permit for a couple of years after his illness, but didn't use it latterly as he is quite capable of walking good long distances, further than me in fact.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

29-06-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Many healthy people over here wrongly park in parking spaces reserved for the disabled (the word handicapped is frowned upon these days in the UK). My husband was entitled to a disabled parking permit for a couple of years after his illness, but didn't use it latterly as he is quite capable of walking good long distances, further than me in fact.
The Blue Badge scheme is worth it's weight in gold to me at any rate. Like anything, it helps a great many folks but there will always be some toerag that thinks it great to either use a hooky badge or just blatently park in the designated disabled areas.

Personally I would poke their eyes out with a blunt stick and then see how they get home.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2012, 12:08 AM

There are fines imposed on people who park in designated disabled spaces where I live and rightly so. Unless they have the appropriate authorisation badge.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
The city of Ottawa is trying to find ways of stopping the misuse of handicapped parking by family and friends of those who are issued the special permits. It's a problem here too.

Have you ever accosted someone who has parked in a handicapped spot, without a permit visible on the car, and who appears to be healthy enough to walk from the regular parking area? I did once - a young woman who sat in the driver's seat while her agile and healthy boyfriend jumped out and went into the bank. I suggested she move to another parking spot to free up the handicapped spot for someone who might need it. She got rude and told me to F off. I walked away.
Annie darlin' if she had said that to me - she'd certainly be entitled to a 'blue badge' now because she would be wearing my walking stick inserted into a very painful orifice!!! and need the services of a proctologist to remove it.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Parking is an issue everywhere in the United States. I think it stems from a general attitude that laws mean nothing to people anymore. For the first time in my life I knew fear driving to the beach on Memorial Day. I was driving the speed limit and felt like I was parked. Crazies were passing me at 80-90 miles per hour in double yellow line no passing zones. I swear that if I had machine guns mounted on my car they'd all be dead. At least there were police in large task forces pulling them over and giving them tickets. I'm sure those fools didn't care.

It's so insane here that punks are stealing powered wheel chairs from cripples, using photos of dead military personnel to scam their relatives out of money. This week alone squatters, people illegally occupying another's home, sent eviction notices to the owner, claiming to be the bank. After the owner moved out they move in & trash the place.

We live in a crazy world where nobody is safe anywhere, anytime. Grade school kids are punching bus drivers on school busses, teens are assaulting seniors with baseball bats, teens by the dozen are swarming into businesses, stealing everything they can grab and then running away. It's all insane.

Our jails & prisons are overflowing with much worse criminals so what's the answer, build more jails? The worst offenders wear fancy cars, put on fund raising dinners at $10,000 a plate and smile a lot. They're called politicians.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2012, 12:23 PM

We are very grateful for our Blue Badge. Though hubby is not allowed to drive now, I do the driving. It enables me to park (mostly) not only close to the entrance of shops, but the width of the parking space means that our car door can open wide. We struggle when the gap between parked cars is narrow..not enough room for the wheelchair either!
Yes, we have challenged people who are parked in disabled bays..who are obviously fit..one lady said quite rudely, "well I am getting a prescription and shopping for someone like you"
All good and worthwhile benefits are abused..such a sad society we live in now.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2012, 04:13 PM

Me and OH have blue badges what a godsend. I have arthritis in my spine so can't walk far without pain. OH has rheumatoid and his hips are getting really bad. So being able to park on double yellows has been a great help to us when we go into the city. Obviously park in a responsible way not obstructing any other motorist or private gateway.

Our Asda store is very good they have a parking attendant patrolling and once we forgot to display our blue badge and was issued with a penalty notice. I wrote to the issuers and explained it was a genuine mistake on my part and they waived the fee. But even with a parking attendant they still have the problem of people using disabled parking that do not have a blue badge, but at least they get a shock when they come back to a ticket!!!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2012, 04:35 PM

My son in law has had many a fight with people useing the area for illegal parking in Preston.He has a wheel chair and a wheelchair lift on the roof so he needs the extra space to get in and out of the car.Had a few words with traffic wardens as well.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 10:31 PM

There are a lot of people abusing the badge where I live Hubby is disabled and has one we find the worst abusers
are the young mothers with children who now have designated parking areas if full they think they can use the disabled spots...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top