Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Insect bites.

Two days ago I was sitting in the garden reading. I was wearing shorts and my husband notice a purple mark on the back of my leg. I must admit that I had not noticed anything, but my husband said it looked like a bite. I had not felt anything at all.
I bathed it in Dettol and put on antiseptic cream.
It has since swollen and is painful. I think it may be a horsefly bite. Has any one been bitten by one.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2012, 11:38 PM

Re: Insect bites.

I was bitten on my leg by something whilst on holiday last week. The bite and surrounding area came up in little blisters and itched like mad. Of course my scratching it didn't help and it went a deep red colour and was sore. A couple of days later my leg and ankle swelled so I applied some hydrocortisone cream which relieved the anguish.

It's a week since the bite but my leg is still swollen

I hope your leg is better soon, Mall....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Hi mesco m.

I am a target for these beasts, after noticing I have been bitten, I take an antihistamine tablet, and apply witch hazel or similar. When I did not, my hand became swollen to such an extent, I could not operate the handbrake or gearstick in my car, and I could see the swelling extending up my arm, antibiotics from the Doctor sorted it.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2012, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I was bitten on my leg by something whilst on holiday last week. The bite and surrounding area came up in little blisters and itched like mad. Of course my scratching it didn't help and it went a deep red colour and was sore. A couple of days later my leg and ankle swelled so I applied some hydrocortisone cream which relieved the anguish.

It's a week since the bite but my leg is still swollen

I hope your leg is better soon, Mall....
Thanks Mags. Maybe you need the doc to take a look, if it's been a week and it's still swollen.
mesco m
manchester

16-08-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Hi mesco m.

I am a target for these beasts, after noticing I have been bitten, I take an antihistamine tablet, and apply witch hazel or similar. When I did not, my hand became swollen to such an extent, I could not operate the handbrake or gearstick in my car, and I could see the swelling extending up my arm, antibiotics from the Doctor sorted it.
It's the first time I have had a nasty reaction to a bite but mine is no were near as bad as your reaction.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2012, 07:30 AM

I was bitten whilst on holiday in Greece a few years agoall round my ankles, I spent the week going to the doctors every morning and was there on the day of my flight back home to see if they would let me fly, I was given a certificate to pass me for flying, what a reief that was.
Eggiebread
Bristol, UK
Eggiebread is female  Eggiebread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2012, 08:17 AM

They do say that with the wet weather we have had that there are more mosquitoes than ever in the UK..though they aren't the kind that carry malaria of course. I think they must be scared of me....I don't seem to get bitten. Wait!! Now I have said that I'll prolly get bitten by a cloud of little bugs!! hehe.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eggiebread ->
They do say that with the wet weather we have had that there are more mosquitoes than ever in the UK..though they aren't the kind that carry malaria of course. I think they must be scared of me....I don't seem to get bitten. Wait!! Now I have said that I'll prolly get bitten by a cloud of little bugs!! hehe.
I think this is so and a couple of my neighbours who are not usually prone to being bitten have been this year.

I always keep antihistamine tablets in the house (Piriton or the generic equivalent) and I take one the moment I am bitten to prevent reaching the stage Mags describes above.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Two days ago I was sitting in the garden reading. I was wearing shorts and my husband notice a purple mark on the back of my leg. I must admit that I had not noticed anything, but my husband said it looked like a bite. I had not felt anything at all.
I bathed it in Dettol and put on antiseptic cream.
It has since swollen and is painful. I think it may be a horsefly bite. Has any one been bitten by one.
Yes Mall darlin' I was bitten by a horse fly many, many years ago just above my knee and where the hem of my school uniform (short) trousers rubbed it. It turned septic and I had to wear a huge crepe bandage on my leg for several weeks. It was painful, and as it healed, it itched like mad.
mesco m
manchester

17-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Mall darlin' I was bitten by a horse fly many, many years ago just above my knee and where the hem of my school uniform (short) trousers rubbed it. It turned septic and I had to wear a huge crepe bandage on my leg for several weeks. It was painful, and as it healed, it itched like mad.
Not sure if it is a horsefly bite or not. But if it isn't, then the midge that bit me must have been awfully hungry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top