Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Any Medics (or Quacks) on here

I have beem watching the Hairy Bikers programmes for a while now, and have observed the amount of Lard, Butter, Fat they use in their cooking. Their latest series follows their progress, living on healty low calorie stuff, and charts their weight loss, they both started around the twenty stone mark, but having lost a couple of stone each (well done) the BMI index still puts them in the danger zone, anyway to my point. In the last programme, they both had their blood pressure checked (after a bit of a bike ride i may add), and both gave readings circa 105 over 72, my eyes nearly popped out, my readings are half that again, with medication, I am maybe a stone overweight, and walk many miles a day.
Any ideas what is going on?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Re: Any Medics (or Quacks) on here

I would go see the docs for a check up Paul, low blood pressure can be just as dangerous as high blood pressure.

Re fats, as you probably know, there are good fats and bad fats - but also, perhaps surprisingly, the rest of your diet has an impact on how your body deals with, and reacts to fats. So on a species appropriate diet, (natural) fats are encouraged ...although I doubt the hairy bikers are eating a Palaeolithic diet

You might want to check out The Primal Blueprint, the author is 57 years old and in better health and shape than most people half his age! If you go to this link and click 'look inside' you can read quite a bit of it without having to buy it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Primal-B...5294586&sr=8-1

I would lend you my copy, but my friend hasn't given it back to me yet
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Hi Azz
I think I have a combination of white coat syndrome, and double the normal adrenaline ration. The wife works for our GP, so we get preferental treatment, Lol. Although I have hypertension, I have a resting pulse rate of 53 BPM, this flummoxes the doctor because a high BP reading is usually accompanied by a high pulse rate, this must be down to the amount of excercise I do.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I would go see the docs for a check up Paul, low blood pressure can be just as dangerous as high blood pressure.
Not true. Low blood pressure is generally a good thing except in a few exceptional situations.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Hi Azz
I think I have a combination of white coat syndrome, and double the normal adrenaline ration. The wife works for our GP, so we get preferental treatment, Lol. Although I have hypertension, I have a resting pulse rate of 53 BPM, this flummoxes the doctor because a high BP reading is usually accompanied by a high pulse rate, this must be down to the amount of excercise I do.
Lots of things affect pulse rate and blood pressure, and it is not at all uncommon to have low pulse rate and high blood pressure.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 05:16 PM

I've got low blood presssure and the doc says it's no problem if you've had it all your life, like I have. Just need to be careful getting up too quickly etc. He did say could be a problem if it comes on later and then they'd need to find out why.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Not true. Low blood pressure is generally a good thing except in a few exceptional situations.
It can be dangerous if it drops too low, I thought I was dying when mine dropped. read this.
Low blood pressure (hypotension) is pressure so low it causes symptoms or signs due to the low flow of blood through the arteries and veins. When the flow of blood is too low to deliver enough oxygen and nutrients to vital organs such as the brain, heart, and kidney, the organs do not function normally and may be temporarily or permanently damaged.

Unlike high blood pressure, low blood pressure is defined primarily by signs and symptoms of low blood flow and not by a specific blood pressure number. Some individuals routinely may have blood pressures of 90/50 with no symptoms and therefore do not have low blood pressure. However, others who normally have higher blood pressures may develop symptoms of low blood pressure if their blood pressure drops to 100/60.
Reviewed by Jay W. Marks, MD on 10/4/2010
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

18-08-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Lots of things affect pulse rate and blood pressure, and it is not at all uncommon to have low pulse rate and high blood pressure.
Tell that to my GP.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

18-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Hi orangutan.
I hate having to take unnecessary medication, a second tablet was added based on my pulse rate versus my BP rating, like you I think it may have been unnecessary, but then again what do I know.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2012, 12:25 AM

It is true that the heavier you are, it's more likely you'll have high blood pressure because the heart has to work harder to pump the blood around.

However, when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 186/130, I was just 7½ stone, so it's horses for courses. Mine was due to enormous stress. Fortunately, my BP is normal now, due to medication.

See your doctor chuck.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top