Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2013, 12:32 PM

'Starpath' Street Lighting

A road that glows in the dark could become the future of street lighting.

A historic path in Cambridge has been covered with ultraviolet particles that absorb light during the day.

Then at night they emit an artificial blue glow – although the particles can come in different colours.

The “Starpath” could one day replace streetlamps as a cheaper and more energy-efficient form of lighting, or be used for cycle lanes.

The technology is being used at Christ’s Pieces and the city council has said it could adopt the path elsewhere.

Councillor Andrea Reiner said: “This is an interesting idea we are trying.

“But we want to balance any safety benefit against the desire to preserve the historic nature of our open spaces.”

The system has been developed by Pro-Teq Surfacing in Surrey.

Boss Hamish Scott: “With the cost of power going up, there has to be an alternative way. This is a very nice, pleasant and effective way of doing this.”

What a fabulous way of using technology and cutting the costs of street lighting. Not sure if it would illuminate the surrounding area though.

How would you feel if this was brought in in your area to replace street lighting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgHHm3etCOY

(I'm sure that's a robotic voice on voiceover!)
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2013, 05:43 PM

Re: 'Starpath' Street Lighting

Pity it didn't show the path at night. Anything to reduce the street lighting so that I can see the stars .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DirpewBP6Cw

This video does.
I occasionally go to Cambridge so I'll report back on it
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2013, 06:04 PM

What a brilliant idea! We don't have any street lights here in my village and I'm absolutely thrilled that we don't as we get to enjoy beautiful night skies minus the light pollution! Stunning!!

(And yes, there is definitely something not quite right with that commentator's voice!)
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2013, 09:43 PM

It's a good idea, but, I'd be worried that it doesn't light up enough of the area around it & people could be lurking in the shadows! but then I'm a bit of a scaredy cat!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2013, 11:23 PM

The voice was human, but had the monotony of a robot, plus there were some defects in the delivery of speech, as if it had been rehearsed many times and the best bits had been "cut and pasted" as it were into a slightly more effective recording.

The street lighting sounds very interesting and, if it's cheaper than the current ineffective lighting that we have on our roads, then all power to it - no pun intended.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Good idea in theory - not sure how it would be in practice. Last year our council started switching off every second street light and it felt really unsafe and creepy - but - I am sure some of the older folks would say they managed OK during the wartime blackouts.
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2013, 02:26 PM

I can understand why people get twitchy about their councils switching off some of their street lights, but local councils are having to make big spending cuts ~ it's not their choice; the government have given them targets. I live in a village where there are no street lights, so if we walk up to the local hostelry for a few beverages, then we take a torch. In towns there are usually other light sources like roads of houses with lights on, or shops, or even passing traffic, but out in the sticks where there aren't any shops, housing estates etc., it's pitch dark, so we have to adapt. I really wouldn't want street lights in the village. The sight of the garden or fields sparkling with snow or frost under a star-filled black sky in the moonlight is far too precious to lose!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by SageCat ->
What a brilliant idea! We don't have any street lights here in my village and I'm absolutely thrilled that we don't as we get to enjoy beautiful night skies minus the light pollution! Stunning!!

(And yes, there is definitely something not quite right with that commentator's voice!)
We have the same problem as you SageCat - at night, there are only street lights on certain corners so walking in the dark is quite dangerous with the risk of falling into the road or walking into something. The upside, as you have said, is that with no reflective light, the night sky is stunning and I've often walked down to the beach to see it but with torch in hand! It would be nice if we could have this here.

I hope warleyron reports back with what he thinks of the path and if it does throw any light around the immediate area. That's the only thing that would worry me with regard to safety.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Going to Cambridge 7/11
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

27-10-2013, 10:28 PM

I hope you have something favourable to report then

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top