Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Asda Click and Collect Service.

Ive just tried out the Asda Click and Collect service for the first time today.
Because the dogs have only been with me just over a week I didnt want to leave them at home while I went out shopping and I was frightened after being told how dogs get stolen from cars these days, so yesterday I placed an order online and picked a time today I would be able to collect.
I was also told that I could have made any changes to my order up till midnight last night.

Today I drove over to Kettering Asda about a 15 minute drive, dogs safely in the back. Asda operate a temperature controlled locker system which is in a separate part of the carpark and you park right next to the lockers and after going to the central touch screen and putting the security code in it told me my goods were in three separate lockers all in a row. One was a freezer type that had the frozen goods and another was a chilled type that had my milk and cheese in. Little buttons also light up to show you which lockers are yours.

One thing I liked better than the delivery service was if you change your mind and not want something you can just leave it in the locker for a refund. I have used the delivery service before but the driver was a real miserable bu***r
I believe you can also order from the home goods and clothing section.

I really liked the service, which is free, and it helped me out of a problem. I've been without coffee for three days till I thought of this. 😤
I know I can take the dogs in with me to the towns market so can buy fruit and veg there.
The only problem I have now is when I need to buy Electricity and Gas as all the places I used before dont allow dogs in.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 04:37 PM

Re: Asda Click and Collect Service.

Sounds like a really good system MC. Our nearest ASDA is twenty miles away but we do have Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Lidl and 2 Aldi's in my nearest town. I much prefer to get my Sainsbury's/Iceland/Tesco home delivery and we've always found the drivers to be kind/considerate and very helpful. They always bring the shopping in and unpack it onto the kitchen table and go through the delivery note to ensure all there and nothing missed from the list.

Far too cold for me at the moment for collect. Brrrr.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 05:40 PM

Hi MC it's good you have found a solution to your grocery delivery problems.

Is there not a local shop or garage where you can buy gas and electricity . The dogs should be ok left at home for a few moments particularly if they have been fed and walked first.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 06:57 PM

When I first got Holly, it worried the life out of me of how I was meant to do shopping, without giving her separation anxiety.

I do believe she did bark early on, but nowadays she just lies on the dining chair looking out the window, when she doesn't have her kong/meat filled bone to entertain her.

I don't like to be out more than a couple of hours, mind, but don't ask me how I coped in the early months! It has been a year now... Don't bother with supermarket delivery for just myself, as I could never go up to the minimum spend required.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 08:29 PM

MC, I agree with Meg and Jazzi, they will get used to it, and at least your two will never be completely alone anyway, as they have each other for company.

Weren't they used to be left when at their previous home?
What if you need to go to the doctor's or have an appointment you can't take them?

If you don't mind me saying, you may be making a rod for your own back if you stay with them every minute of the day.

I think I would start their training by just popping out for 5 mins.
Make sure they are safe and there is nothing they can eat or destroy.
You needn't go anywhere, just wait a little way along from your front door so they can't hear you outside. Then listen, see if they start kicking off, or if they are nice and quiet.

I would do this every couple of hours or so throughout the day, but don't go out of earshot, so you know what's happening.
If they are quiet and sensible, you could slowly extend it to 10 mins, then 15, - and so on.
Then go back and praise them and tell them what good dogs they are.

Any training takes time and effort, and lots of praise, but you've got to start somewhere!

What did you decide about the dog training school?
They are often around 8 week courses for which you would usually need to put your name down and enrol first. Then they should tell you when the next course begins.
I still don't think you can train two at once though.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
MC, I agree with Meg and Jazzi, they will get used to it, and at least your two will never be completely alone anyway, as they have each other for company.

Weren't they used to be left when at their previous home?
What if you need to go to the doctor's or have an appointment you can't take them?

If you don't mind me saying, you may be making a rod for your own back if you stay with them every minute of the day.

I think I would start their training by just popping out for 5 mins.
Make sure they are safe and there is nothing they can eat or destroy.
You needn't go anywhere, just wait a little way along from your front door so they can't hear you outside. Then listen, see if they start kicking off, or if they are nice and quiet.

I would do this every couple of hours or so throughout the day, but don't go out of earshot, so you know what's happening.
If they are quiet and sensible, you could slowly extend it to 10 mins, then 15, - and so on.
Then go back and praise them and tell them what good dogs they are.

Any training takes time and effort, and lots of praise, but you've got to start somewhere!

What did you decide about the dog training school?
They are often around 8 week courses for which you would usually need to put your name down and enrol first. Then they should tell you when the next course begins.
I still don't think you can train two at once though.
They problem I've found with there being two of them is they are like a tag team. When one starts the other joins in. Which is ok when they are just playing together but a little more awkward when they are being naughty, barking, walking on the lead etc.

My daughter used two separate large cages while she went out so they are used to being caged but she had recently wanted to experiment and try going out for short amounts of time and letting them just have the run of the lounge and kitchen.

I havent got the cages from her as I didnt like them. I have already started leaving them for 5 minutes a couple of times and plan to extend this over time.
I have got the option of my ex coming over here or me dropping them there if I have places to go and cannot take them as she is used to them both but would not be able to walk them due to her bad knees.

I have started trying to cure them of the unsocial behaviour towards other dogs a little bit already and its working a little bit already. They are not vicious dogs for as soon as another dog comes near they are both jumping up at me and yelping to be picked up or hiding behind my legs. I get the feeling that because they are a pair they think other dogs will keep away due to the barking but in reality they are both scared. I have also been walking them through the town centre to get them used to that and not just park and dog park walking.

They are only young but I'm disappointed my daughter hasnt been able to spend more time training them. She did take them to puppy classes and Peaches had 1 to 1 training plus they both also used to go to dog creche for a while.

I know I will need to split them up to take them to classes totally separately as both together in the same class even if someone else handled the other one wouldnt work either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 05:29 PM

I know what you are saying MC, and that is why I've been saying you won't be able to train two together. They probably wouldn't let you in the same class with both at the same time anyway for the same reason.

Pity you didn't bring one of the cages if it is big enough for both of them, if that is what they were used to.

It is always going to take more time to 're-train' them once they are past the puppy stage. They absorb info quicker when they are young, especially up to 12 weeks old.

Sounds like you are trying your best though, so good luck.

This might be some help.

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/puppie...lperiods.shtml
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:17 PM

I had the run to keep Holly in for a few months. Maybe she slept while I was out, but I probably dashed to the shops! This kept her confined, and safe, and yes she did her toilet there, which I was utterly prepared to clean up (I put down Lino).

She has been a trial, and a joy, but I’m so glad I never contemplated getting two! One is enough I think, especially in my small flat. Do consider the crate, if you are that concerned about leaving them, or find a pet sitter. You will find that as time goes on they will get used to you being out, and Mups gives good advice.

For leaving Holly (for shopping) I first take her for a toilet walk, leave her a kong filled with pate/meat and a few biscuits, and on my return we go for a longer walk. I try to give her such a routine so she associates the treats to know I’m coming home and she is rewarded with a walk afterwards.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

28-11-2018, 06:35 PM

When I take her out for the morning walk to get my newspaper I hold her in my arms (which they don't mind! I asked first) and nowadays she jumps up rather than be lifted. She's learned that much. I would never ever leave her outside a shop or supermarket, EVER!

As time went on, I let her have the run of the lounge, but even now when I'm out I keep the security gate closed (which is handy for answering the door, or popping out to check the post/going to the bins). At 14 months old she is now trustworthy to leave alone without finding anything destroyed when coming home. Though she is partial to a tissue or two (or the loo roll)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top