Join for free
Page 22 of 164 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:18 AM

Re: Covid-19 Vaccinations

Originally Posted by Judd ->
After a few cancellations, my old mum's vaccination can take place. I'm taking her to Boots Pharmacy in town this Friday. She's been wittering on about it for weeks now, so maybe I'll get a bit of peace.
That's great news Judd. Be sure to both wear a mask and a face visor. With this latest variant you can't take any chances.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
After years on monthly blood tests checks for Warfarin, I can support some of what you say.

Nurses are usually very good at doling the blood tests.

Only the very new nurses have a few start up problems, usually in finding hard to find veins.
I must agree with you too. I had to go for a blood test today at one of the local pathology places and, as usual, the nurse was almost painless and very efficient. I was in and out in about 10 minutes.

Mind you that is basically all they do all day. There is always a rush at 7.00am because people haven't eaten for 12hrs (ish) I always wait until after 8am for the mob to disperse.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 12:04 PM

Trouble at t'mill!

It seems AstraZenica and Pfizer are not keeping up their end of the bargain.

Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Trouble at t'mill!

It seems AstraZenica and Pfizer are not keeping up their end of the bargain.
Nah Brucie, you've got the wrong end of the stick.
It's the incompetent EU who have messed up all on their own.

Their own potential preferred suppliers like the Pasteur Institute and Sanofi have failed to provide what the EU eventually decided that they wanted so that the delayed approval of the AstraZeneca jab has now become more important to them.

Also Sanofi are going to be licensed to make the hugely more expensive Pfizer jab, to boost production within the bloc so that the EU will be able to at last start vaccinating in decent numbers.

Have a read of this to gain a better understanding.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ht/ar-BB1d8uqv

ETA:
From another thread it seems that AZ's contact with the EU states ""no fixed deliverables".
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:08 PM

At this rate, even if we do get our first jab, we'll be lucky to get the second one too.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
At this rate, even if we do get our first jab, we'll be lucky to get the second one too.
AstraZeneca alone are contracted for 100 million dose Mups.
That's 2 jabs for 50 million people.
The Pfizer/Biontech as ordered if given twice is enough for another 20 million people.

So with those two alone there is more than enough to vaccinate the whole UK population even if every single person accepts the vaccination.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
AstraZeneca alone are contracted for 100 million dose Mups.
That's 2 jabs for 50 million people.
The Pfizer/Biontech as ordered if given twice is enough for another 20 million people.

So with those two alone there is more than enough to vaccinate the whole UK population even if every single person accepts the vaccination.
That is what they have said Zaphod and I am hopeful that is what will happen.
I believe the Pfizer vaccine is the one that will cause problems as it must be difficult to keep the vaccine at such low temperatures whilst moving it around the country.
I am surprised that the Pfizer vaccine wasn't kept at hospitals,where the staff & patients could have been injected without having to move them or the vaccine outside the hospital! I am sure the hospitals would have the equipment to maintain the low temperatures.
Perhaps there was some logical reason for not doing that!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

28-01-2021, 10:44 PM

According to earlier reports in Australia the AstraZenica vaccine was never tested on older people during its trial now the German regulators are questioning its use in older people.

AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine should only be given to people aged between 18 and 64, Germany's vaccine committee said in a draft recommendation, a day ahead of a decision by European regulators on whether to approve the drugmaker's shot.

"There are currently insufficient data available to assess the vaccine efficacy from 65 years of age," the committee, also known as Stiko, said in a draft resolution made available by the German health ministry on Thursday.

"The AstraZeneca vaccine, unlike the mRNA vaccines, should only be offered to people aged 18-64 years at each stage," it added.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...derly/13101658
Zaphod
Lincs UK

29-01-2021, 11:27 AM

Don't you bother reading the other side of the story Brucie?
Okay, I will help you out:

Reports that the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine efficacy is low in adults over 65 years are not an accurate reflection of the totality of the data. The latest analyses support efficacy in this age group, which we expect to be published by the EMA in the coming days.”

' Dr June Raine, the chief executive of the UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), said: “Current evidence does not suggest any lack of protection against Covid-19 in people aged 65 or over. The data we have shows that the vaccine produces a strong immune response in the over-65s.” '

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-used-over-65s

The suggestions that AZ's vaccine isn't so good are just German sour grapes, and not for the first time either.
IMHO I think it's a tactic to try and placate Germans who are extremely unhappy about how poorly their vaccination plan is going.

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...search&pto=aue
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 12:09 PM

Very Interesting Zaphod!

This bit made me laugh......

Instead of haggling over the price for months like the EU Commission did, Netanyahu bravely grabbed the state wallet. According to insiders, Israel pays at least twice as much per dose of vaccine.

Perhaps the EU is now struggling without the financial input of the UK!
Looks like Natanyahu cares more about his people than the EU did about their members!

Page 22 of 164 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top