Join for free
Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:37 PM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Haven't they always been able to cut people off remotely?
Yes but.....

''Gas and electricity companies cannot cut off your supply unless they have first offered you a range of payment methods to help you pay. They must only disconnect your supply as a last resort and they must give you proper notice first.''
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes but.....

''Gas and electricity companies cannot cut off your supply unless they have first offered you a range of payment methods to help you pay. They must only disconnect your supply as a last resort and they must give you proper notice first.''
In terms of the ease with which they can flick the switch off does someone have to come to your house or fiddle with the box outside?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 09:56 PM

Haven't they always been able to cut people off remotely?
Perhaps not Annie, but someone else could if they hack into your meter.... All the outside lights and CCTV would go off without power unless there were backup batteries.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
This has been covered on other threads and it's getting a bit like 'groundhog day' but here goes:-

We seem to be getting lazy these days, and find sending meter readings in on time, studying the bill, and paying online by card is too time consuming. So you can install a smart meter that sends in the readings all by itself, and deducts the money out of your account by direct debit each month without you having to do a thing.....

Personally, I like to pay my bills online, each quarter, after sending my meter readings in and making a note of them.
I then check my account to make sure that British Gas and me are singing from the same song sheet.

I don't need to know how many pence per hour I'm spending on energy. If I've got the oven or TV on it's because I want it on and it's necessary. I don't want some digital spy looking over my shoulder all the time making me feel guilty about turning the heating on or making a cuppa.

And don't forget; The same info you get on your little gadget, is the same info that your supplier has access to. What happens when you supplier starts charging you a different rate for your energy just when you need it the most. This will happen eventually under the excuse of 'Saving the Planet'.

The world is changing! and eventually everyone will have smart meters for energy and water, but call me old fashioned, but My life, My rules!
I'm with you on that Annie, I shall go down kicking and screaming and hold out as long as I can. I do not have a smartphone, smart TV, and definitely no 'Alexa' or any of that rubbish. I'm the only smart thing in my house.....

And yes Annie, modern technology is like a house of cards and the world gets more complex each day. But the wind of change will bring the whole lot down eventually, hopefully not on our watch!
That's been their problem to sort. Once they are snooping in my house it becomes my problem too!
Excellent points well made, Annie and Foxy, I completely agree.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 08:43 AM

In terms of the ease with which they can flick the switch off does someone have to come to your house or fiddle with the box outside?
Read the instructions - again.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

09-09-2020, 08:45 AM

Perhaps not Annie, but someone else could if they hack into your meter.... All the outside lights and CCTV would go off without power unless there were backup batteries.
Agreed. Others have done it to our factory.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 10:20 AM

I also think wifi isn't very reliable. I don't buy all the smarthome nonsense because at least you always know a wire works from A to B. Smart monitoring across cities is not my idea of an idyllic world. Particularly when they are setting up rafts of masts to deal with the capacity issues. I also do not like the lack of consultation on this sweeping change. What's driving it? Certainly not driven by dreams of saving the planet.
That really annoys me (isn't there a thread for that?) too, having things like smart motorways, smart cars, Smart meters, HS2 and 5G, just thrust upon us whether we like it or not. It strikes me that if it's got 'smart' in the name it's going to be expensive, against popular public opinion, or bad for your health.

Agreed. Others have done it to our factory.
Sorry to hear that Besoeker, but I think we put too much faith in so called 'Progress' Soon this world will be no place for humans.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-09-2020, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Excellent points well made, Annie and Foxy, I completely agree.
Thanks Tabby, I appreciate your comments. I don't know if it's just me, but this world is becoming unrecognisable to the one I grew up in....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

09-09-2020, 12:45 PM

Sorry to hear that Besoeker, but I think we put too much faith in so called 'Progress' Soon this world will be no place for humans.
Yes, quite so MrFox. But what progress?
The supply residential voltage is line, neutral, and earth. That's it. Three conductors. Yet, others here seem to show more complexity than that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 01:39 PM

Yes, quite so MrFox. But what progress?
The supply residential voltage is line, neutral, and earth. That's it. Three conductors. Yet, others here seem to show more complexity than that.
I have two phases supplied to my house, still only three conductors - two live wires and a neutral, the earth is local.

Even if that is cut off I have a couple of generators which can give me about 5kw unfortunately I have no way of synchronizing them

Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top