Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 11:34 AM

Re: Isis: The 'central' role of women in forming the next jihadist generation

Religion controls people by offering a belief that there will be something after death... providing you follow all the rules while you live on earth, but I do understand your thoughts on how education is holding them back. There are Muslim families, living in England, where the women are not allowed to be educated or even communicate with anyone other than fellow muslims who follow rules strictly to the letter. In their world women only exist to please men and produce children, so with those beliefs it isn't surprising that the men don't want to change anything. Not all Muslims are like this, but there are many radical ones who are, so until sharia law totally disappears there is no chance that Muslim women will ever hold equal status to men, as we do in the west.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 05:25 PM

I was once told by a muslim man that a woman has a brain the size of a pea compared to a mans brain, and he believed it, so now you know ladies, we are all pea brains
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 05:33 PM

Perhaps the Aus experience is different from the UK - or maybe I'm wearing blinkers.
But I'm actually quite optimistic about all this.

There are no Muslims (that I know of) in my little fishing village of 700 souls.
However, I go to the nearest large town (200,000) almost daily and yesterday spent time in Brisbane (2 million plus).

I see heaps of Muslim women, Hijabs and all, even the very occasional Burka.
I watch the way they treat their men and are treated by them.
I see the way they dress and their demeanor.
I note the way they interact with their children.

I find them clean, modest, polite, dignified.
I see Muslim women, doctors, lawyers and other professionals all the time.

I have seen no evidence of either subjugation or aggression.
I have probably witnessed more of that amongst Australian women to be honest.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 07:05 PM

Hi

It all depends on the variety of Muslim that you have, in many Islamic countries women work, have rights etc.

In others they are not even allowed to drive and many girls are taken out of school when they reach puberty, some are not even allowed to attend school.

The problem here in the UK is our historical ties with those parts of the world with very radical Muslims, we have the highest number of Radical Muslims in Western Europe, and they are both very visible and very vocal
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Perhaps the Aus experience is different from the UK - or maybe I'm wearing blinkers.
But I'm actually quite optimistic about all this.

.................................................. ...................

I have seen no evidence of either subjugation or aggression.
I have probably witnessed more of that amongst Australian women to be honest.
The former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New South Wales wouldn't agree with you:

Jim Spigelman (who served as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New South Wales from 19 May 1998 until 31 May 2011) said that Australia's increasing diversity was creating conflicts about how to deal with the customs and traditions of immigrant populations. He said:"There are important racial, ethnic and religious minorities in Australia who come from nations with sexist traditions which, in some respects, are even more pervasive than those of the West." He said that honor crimes, forced marriages and other violent acts against women were becoming a problem in Australia"

"Honour killings coming to our courts: top judge". WA Today
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 02:45 AM

Good one, Mick.
Refreshing to see such a reasoned and researched response here.

Worth noting that the eminent judge is not really disagreeing with me however.
He cannot - because I am merely expressing my own personal optimism based on my local experience
whilst he is talking about cases that come before the courts.

A few decades ago, the Muslim population here was virtually nil.
Naturally, if that ethnic/religious group increases by 1000%, some of the negative aspects practiced by a minority will increase proportionately.
From a base of zero, any incidence of such nasties can appear dramatic and be exaggerated.
But we are right to be watchful.

I would need to see evidence however, that "honor crimes and forced marriage" have increased dramatically here.
In real terms.
Regretfully, "violent acts against women" are not solely the domain of "immigrant populations".
Indeed, the incidence of such stuff within our own indigenous people is regretfully high.

It would probably be churlish to suggest that the learned judge's own ethnicity could skew his view of Islam in general - but not impossible.

One is inclined to trust one's own observations in these matters.
I have seen nothing to raise my concern nor am I aware of single case before any court in this state (which I'm sure the media would have reported with alacrity).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top