Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 03:45 PM

Re: Redcar Steel Plant

Not far from you in Hitchin and you are right no brickyards now, I can remember lorry after lorry coming through heading for Stevenage and the lorries were all made here as well!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Corby,Sheffield and now Redcar. Steel gone. They say we need more houses-well I grew up in the area of the brickyards in Bedfordshire. All gone now so where do the bricks come from??
Legoland?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 09:15 PM

The Redcar plant is not even owned by British company .
It has been owned for some years by a Thai company
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The Redcar plant is not even owned by British company .
It has been owned for some years by a Thai company
It started out as a private company - Dorman Long in 1917. It was absorbed into British Steel during nationalisation in 1967. It was privatised by Thatcher in 1988 as British Steel PLC and in 1999 merged with a Dutch firm to form Corus Group. In 2007, Corus was bought by the Indian company Tata. In turn, Tata sold it to SSI in 2011.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
It started out as a private company - Dorman Long in 1917. It was absorbed into British Steel during nationalisation in 1967. It was privatised by Thatcher in 1988 as British Steel PLC and in 1999 merged with a Dutch firm to form Corus Group. In 2007, Corus was bought by the Indian company Tata. In turn, Tata sold it to SSI in 2011.

So, much as I anticipated, it was that evil witch Thatcher's fault for privatising it in the first place!!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
So, much as I anticipated, it was that evil witch Thatcher's fault for privatising it in the first place!!!
Hi

It was losing vast amounts of money, paid for out of taxation, yours and mine, when it was privatised.

There is very little chance of our heavy industries surviving, due, to a large extent to the Greens and other Eco Warrior types who have managed to get ridiculous energy and air pollution controls on our basic industries, making them uncompetitive.

You cannot save the planet by doing this, all you do is shift carbon dioxide production from the UK to China whilst at the same time losing vast numbers of UK jobs in the process.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 08:25 AM

They are not the only ones to loose jobs. Even my own job with BT has now gone so glad I left when I did. It really does not make any difference if thousands or just one job is lost, it is the dependants that suffer
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
There is very little chance of our heavy industries surviving, due, to a large extent to the Greens and other Eco Warrior types who have managed to get ridiculous energy and air pollution controls on our basic industries, making them uncompetitive.

You cannot save the planet by doing this, all you do is shift carbon dioxide production from the UK to China whilst at the same time losing vast numbers of UK jobs in the process.
This is so true. We still have large quantities of coal, gas and oil beneath our feet but the global warming scam makes it politically impossible to access it.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 07:46 AM

Does this make sense? http://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/newswire...m-uk-taxpayer/
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 10:35 AM

If the government makes 80 million quid available...why don't they just divide it by 17000 and give all the workforce a payment ?
Anyone know what that would be for each of the 17000 workforce ?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top