Join for free
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 11:16 PM

Shell are not going to drill in the Arctic !!!!!

Just received this news today ! What a success ! Mind you these International companies should not need to be persuaded to protect nature, but unfortunately money matters an awful lot more than saving our wonderful creatures from extinction, it seems.

Unfortunately this world needs international groups like Greenpeace, and I feel privileged to be a part of this brave and committed group. OK it's only a tiny part, but I'm too old to do anything like climb buildings and tie banners. If I was in my 20s or 30s I would be one of their physical activists, believe me ! As it is, I can sign petitions and contribute a bit of money every so often. I just wish I was able to do more. It seems that Greenpeace is the only group fighting for the earth's survival .................................................. ...........

Hi Gill,

Heart-stopping moment: Shell just announced they will stop drilling for oil in the Arctic!

The Guardian reports today that on top of rising costs, “Shell has privately made clear it is taken aback by the public protests against the drilling which are threatening to seriously damage its reputation.”

Three long years of campaigning, one incredible summer of action, and 7 million of us around the world in a rising global movement for the Arctic - just, wow![/COLOR]

Share today’s remarkable news on Facebook: https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/Shell-Victory-Share
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 05:04 AM

Re: Shell are not going to drill in the Arctic !!!!!

Don't think they have worried too much about protests, simple fact is there is not enough oil there to make it a viable investment.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Don't think they have worried too much about protests, simple fact is there is not enough oil there to make it a viable investment.
... and the price of oil had gone down. That makes it much harder to justify the cost of drilling.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 10:05 AM

I think Purwell and Mr. Magoo's posts show the real reason behind Shell's decision. Personally, I see Greenpeace as analagous to Animal Rights activists - irresponsible zealots who often do much more harm than good to their cause. They lost an awful lot of public support when they damaged the Nazca lines in Peru in December 2014

The future may be renewable, but the past is irreplaceable!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 10:18 AM

One has to balance human needs against protecting the environment. A delicate task to say the least. If you study what has gone on in the past it is those at the top of the animal kingdom that survive and lesser species that get extinct.

I am all for protecting the planet but the world we now live in demands natural resources as well.

Yes Greenpeace does a good job in this respect as someone has to keep an eye on excessive natural wastage, but not to the extent of totally anti every thing. It is a question of give and take
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think Purwell and Mr. Magoo's posts show the real reason behind Shell's decision. Personally, I see Greenpeace as analagous to Animal Rights activists - irresponsible zealots who often do much more harm than good to their cause. They lost an awful lot of public support when they damaged the Nazca lines in Peru in December 2014

The future may be renewable, but the past is irreplaceable!

Ah, the Nazca Lines was a bad mistake, however, it wasn't just Greenpeace as the villains...........................

http://www.newser.com/story/200549/i...zca-lines.html

Just to create a sort of balance ! ........................some of Greenpeace's successes .....................................

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/about/successes

Also.................................itemising 40 years of environmental and wildlife protection.....

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/about/impact/history

As I have said, the world needs international groups like Greenpeace. Can you imagine how things would be if there were no such groups to 'police' the world's major industrialists ? It would be a nightmare ! IMO
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
the world needs international groups like Greenpeace.
But instead of attacking individual 'causes' why don't they use all their resources to attack the one thing that is really destroying our world, namely the dominance and utterly unsustainable replication of humans, There are just TOO MANY humans on the planet now and the birth rate is rising like an Apollo rocket.

It hardly requires much brain power to see this but politicians, rights groups (Like Greenpeace) and frankly most people completely ignore the problem.

Winning against oil drilling in the Artic now might seem like a success but in a 100 years from now I forsee cities being built there, suspended on huge steel legs above the ice what ice is left of course
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Hi

I think that a better title would have been Shell are not going to drill in the Arctic for now.

Far more to do with the oil price than any ecological victory

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top