Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Solicitor lost £734,000 in phone scam

Solicitor lost £734,000 in phone scam
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34432596

Originally Posted by BBC News
A solicitor has been defrauded out of £734,000 pounds of her clients' money in the latest example of a so-called vishing - or voice phishing - attack.

Three or four solicitors a week are reporting that they have had calls trying to persuade them to move money, usually belonging to their clients, into a criminal's bank account.
These calls are very persuasive and the caller will spout personal details at you to gain your trust. If they can fool a solicitor then they can fool practically anyone I should think. A call blocker is becoming essential home and business equipment it seems to me.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 02:11 PM

Re: Solicitor lost £734,000 in phone scam

I may sound thick here, but how would a call blocker help?

If the solicitors blocked all calls they would get no work.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 02:12 PM

There is so much publicity about these scams, I'm surprised anyone falls for it - unless they are vulnerable targets
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 02:18 PM

If you are going to move that much money, wouldn't it make a little sense to do a few basic checks to make sure it was genuine?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
If you are going to move that much money, wouldn't it make a little sense to do a few basic checks to make sure it was genuine?
I certainly would - maybe they lack common sense
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I may sound thick here, but how would a call blocker help?

If the solicitors blocked all calls they would get no work.
Call blockers don't block ALL numbers . May as well rip the phone out of the socket and achieve the same result saving you £30 too.

Call blockers can be set up to block any calls from withheld numbers for one thing (plus other types of numbers). Also you block any number once and they won't be able to call again with that number. I only get a call now and then that manages to get through whereas I used to get a few a day which was driving me nuts.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 02:39 PM

I know all about call blockers, I have one myself, but they would be of no use to someone in business, if they blocked all witheld numbers they would lose a lot of business.
And it is a bit late to block a number after you have been scammed from it.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

03-10-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I know all about call blockers, I have one myself, but they would be of no use to someone in business, if they blocked all witheld numbers they would lose a lot of business.
And it is a bit late to block a number after you have been scammed from it.
True. Then again acquiring a call blocker means a person should be suspicious and always on their guard so they should be less likely to fall for a scam call. I love blocking numbers. Works for me.

I'm not making a lot of sense today - bit hungover .
Jimmy
Lancashire

03-10-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
True. Then again acquiring a call blocker means a person should be suspicious and always on their guard so they should be less likely to fall for a scam call. I love blocking numbers. Works for me.
So do I.

I sometimes miss winding the scammers up though.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 02:52 PM

It's always worth remembering that if you use your call blocker to block withheld numbers, then there is NO POINT ringing your house from a phone which withholds its number ... you will not be able to get through and this could lead to all sorts of problems.

thank you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top