Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2015, 09:06 PM

Re: Solicitor lost £734,000 in phone scam

My brain died ages ago. But I recognised a scam call a while ago.
They said that they can supply a service to stop cold calls. It is done through BT but with a different account.
I was then asked for my card details.
Yea right I thought.
I said, "if you are BT, you have my details".
They replied that it would have to be a separate account.
I then asked, "does this service also stop scam calls such as this one"?
They rang off.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
But we're talking about the legal proffession here Patsy, you know the one where the trainning colleges have to widen the doors to allow the students to enter the building

Common sense is only for the peasants
To you too - too true

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
My brain died ages ago. But I recognised a scam call a while ago.
They said that they can supply a service to stop cold calls. It is done through BT but with a different account.
I was then asked for my card details.
Yea right I thought.
I said, "if you are BT, you have my details".
They replied that it would have to be a separate account.
I then asked, "does this service also stop scam calls such as this one"?
They rang off.
Spot on and good for you
kevin5147
New Member!
grimsby
kevin5147 is male 

04-10-2015, 01:25 PM

Has no heard of going to the bank/building society to check in person.

If I get someone ringing me stating there is a problem with my account I would first say thanks I will ring my bank direct/ check online, go in person to the bank no matter how busy I was.

This woman is an idiot plain and simple. Do not give me the crap they were convincing. Common sense tells you your bank stops all access to your account regarding serious problems, I do not have that amount in my account yet after I found out I could not use my debit card because I spent $50to buy a product from the USA I rang my bank to discover they had stopped my card in-case of fraud. they do not tell you to transfer money to another account for safety reasons over the phone. She WAS a lawyer for gods sake.

The letter from the insurance company was spot on. it sounds like fraud to me by her and other people involved. Lets spend the clients money and then claim it was stolen.

Could you go to your bank and withdraw £750.000 in cash without leaving a trail to follow. No you cannot. The bank would not let you open an account and then in a matter of days withdraw such a large amount without setting off alarms bells. The banks even have to tell the taxman about such large sums being deposited / withdrawn. I look forward to the news of her being arrested and charged for fraud.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2015, 01:42 PM

A couple of months ago, I went into our village Post Office and asked for £2,000 worth of Euros. The lady behind the counter said, 'Certainly, Sir. May I see your passport please?'

I said I didn't have it with me, and that she explained they needed to see it to prevent money laundering. I asked her if she recognised me, and she said of course she did.

I then went into my bank, withdrew £2,000 and returned to the Post Office. The same lady said, 'That's fine. What denominations would you like your Euros in?'

Bloody crackers, the lot of them..!!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2015, 01:46 PM

Ha ha - how I agree with you
stifler
New Member!
Philippines
stifler is male 

06-10-2015, 05:44 AM

I personally never answer any call that comes from number I don't recognize. Check the number on some complaint boards like http://whycall.me sometimes, and also ask my friends to text me before they want to call me. Since the beginning of this year, maybe I just got 3 or 4 unsolicited calls.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
It's always worth remembering that if you use your call blocker to block withheld numbers, then there is NO POINT ringing your house from a phone which withholds its number ... you will not be able to get through and this could lead to all sorts of problems.

thank you
Very true!

My number is ex-directory and 'withheld' so I do not end up on anyone's 'contact list'.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top