Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 08:17 AM

A culture of 'fear' ???

Isn't this a disgusting way to treat staff???

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...6pLid%3D389938
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Re: A culture of 'fear' ???

Many companies have terrible policies these days it's almost like the trades unions movement never happened
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 09:27 AM

Sadly those kind of company policies have been creeping into the UK business world for the past 5-6 years. It's simple nonsense perpetrated by the "bean-counters" who take a dim view of the amount of productivity time lost to people "having a sicky". This was discussed in another thread recently.

The policies, whilst targeted to reduce those sicky days, actually result in people staying at work when they are really ill and thus spread their illnesses to other staff. The result is a larger drop in productivity though of course that aspect is not measured by metrics.

It's easy to measure productivity lost to absentees, because they are not there, but how do you measure the effectiveness of any given employee on any given day?
They simply can't. So what they have is a sick workforce who are all feeling very under par, can't concentrate very well with their colds and flu and other viruses and who therefore could be working at 1/2 their normal productivity rate, but the bean counters can't measure that so that aspect is ignored.

It's nonsense like this that convinced me to get out of the regular 9-5 office job and retire before I was 50.

The trade unions are just toothless tigers these days as their top people have long since been "bought out" and paid off well by companies who then have all their expertise to hand. So they know what employees will stand for and what they won't stand for, they know how much real resistance they will get for any given action. The unions that remain are little more than sub-businesses who exist for the purpose of bringing in monthly subscriptions from employees, money which doubtless seeps out of the coffers as "admin expenses" for the main leaders. I was a supporter of unions in principle because without them companies just run riot and implement awful changes and treat employees very badly. However, these days there's little point being a member as you're just feeding someone's lifestyle with the subscriptions. If you work in such a company ask yourselves:

1. Did my union stop the final salary pension scheme from being terminated?

2. Did my union prevent changes to the terms of existing pensions?

3. Did my union prevent outsourcing of departments?

The answers in the majority of cases will be No, No and No.

Unions can provide you with representation at HR hearings etc but the outcomes will be the same regardless.

The only thing that will change matters is revolution.

When people are pushed hard enough and badly enough by greedy and selfish employers there will eventually be protests and actions taken by people who have had enough, reached their bursting point. You don't need unions for that, just stand up and be counted.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Sadly those kind of company policies have been creeping into the UK business world for the past 5-6 years. It's simple nonsense perpetrated by the "bean-counters" who take a dim view of the amount of productivity time lost to people "having a sicky". This was discussed in another thread recently.

The policies, whilst targeted to reduce those sicky days, actually result in people staying at work when they are really ill and thus spread their illnesses to other staff. The result is a larger drop in productivity though of course that aspect is not measured by metrics.

It's easy to measure productivity lost to absentees, because they are not there, but how do you measure the effectiveness of any given employee on any given day?
They simply can't. So what they have is a sick workforce who are all feeling very under par, can't concentrate very well with their colds and flu and other viruses and who therefore could be working at 1/2 their normal productivity rate, but the bean counters can't measure that so that aspect is ignored.

It's nonsense like this that convinced me to get out of the regular 9-5 office job and retire before I was 50.

The trade unions are just toothless tigers these days as their top people have long since been "bought out" and paid off well by companies who then have all their expertise to hand. So they know what employees will stand for and what they won't stand for, they know how much real resistance they will get for any given action. The unions that remain are little more than sub-businesses who exist for the purpose of bringing in monthly subscriptions from employees, money which doubtless seeps out of the coffers as "admin expenses" for the main leaders. I was a supporter of unions in principle because without them companies just run riot and implement awful changes and treat employees very badly. However, these days there's little point being a member as you're just feeding someone's lifestyle with the subscriptions. If you work in such a company ask yourselves:

Unions can provide you with representation at HR hearings etc but the outcomes will be the same regardless.

When people are pushed hard enough and badly enough by greedy and selfish employers there will eventually be protests and actions taken by people who have had enough, reached their bursting point. You don't need unions for that, just stand up and be counted.

When do we start building the barricades comrade???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYNfQlf1H8
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

For once Realist I'm inclined to agree with you. Our society is becoming so unequal it needs rectifying.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 10:43 AM

I've already spoken about this company on another forum. I was promoting their wares until they decided to implement a zero commission policy for existing members (total rip off for us).

I think Jaywalker summed it up nicely on another thread in that men's nature is responsible for the way markets are run (in a free economy) ...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...323#post716323

Originally Posted by Jaywalker
It's sad but I don't think we will ever overcome the individual greed of some humans and it probably comes from our evolutionary need for survival of the fittest and the competitive streak that lies deep within most of us.
Without welfare consideration we would go back to the 'dark days' very quickly. Thankfully the minimum living wage will curtail the rapid decline in living standards that over population and unrestrained immigration would normally bring to a country (if adhered to).
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 11:55 AM

My daughter's partner worked for a zero hours company, he was ill with flu and in bed when his boss knocked on the door and demanded he went back to work.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

06-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My daughter's partner worked for a zero hours company, he was ill with flu and in bed when his boss knocked on the door and demanded he went back to work.
I do hope this 'boss' was told in no uncertain terms to 'sod off'!!!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I do hope this 'boss' was told in no uncertain terms to 'sod off'!!!
That is the trouble - seems a lot of people can't afford to do so. To keep people desperate is how this government would want all workers to be. Keep flooding the place with workers willing to put up with any type of constraint or poor working condition is the ideal. Not exactly new though is it as it has been going on for bleeding hundreds of years (1000s when you think of slavery) - which makes it all the more unsettling to me. Still it seems it is the way of the world up to now and has worked (fast development of countries infrastructure) so will continue for quite a while yet. The big 'fight' between us (workers) and them (bosses) is still very much here by the looks of it - sickening really.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->

I'd have been furious Tess, stupid man.
Apart from that, if they make someone with flu go to work, within a week they will have half the workforce off with it, instead of just one person!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top