Join for free
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 08:24 AM

Another 'Tory' cut???(Business rates)

Councils receive a precept from central government every year to run the services provided by councils. Anyone care to bet that after this latest 'tory' wheeze, next year's precept will be seriously cut???

http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2015/10/05...on-revolution/
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 08:37 AM

Re: Another 'Tory' cut???(Business rates)

I heard that on the radio last night I also heard every quietly said something about it replacing grants of some sort - didn't hear clearly as I was hoovering at the time but it definitely sounded like giving with one hand and taking away with the other.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Always thought it was nice of Brighton residents Joe to give some of their Council Tax funding to deprived towns in the North.
I would have preferred the bins to have been emptied , but there you go, the rich of the South giving to the poor of the North, that is sweet.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 08:40 AM

Hi

The Government has announced that it is to change the way Business rates are distributed.

Currently 50% is kept by Councils and the rest goes to Central Government where it is distributed nationally according to a needs system, the Revenue Support Grant.

Now Councils will keep 100% of Business Rates and the Rate support Grant funded by Business rates will be abolished.

Sounds great doesn't it?

More local accountability, but two snags.

Firstly Business Rates will continue to be set by Central Government, so no local discretion.

Secondly, and here is the crunch, those deprived areas with low business rates are going to get a massive drop in money, whilst the richest areas of the country will have an equivalent massive boost.

Kensington and Chelsea, where you have Harrods etc will be tens of millions better off, Redcar, where the steel plant has just closed, with a massive loss of jobs, will lose millions.

It is basically taking money away from the poorest and giving it to the richest.

Not, to my mind, part of call me Dave's we are all in it together.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 10:00 AM

I knew there would be a catch
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 10:07 AM

The business rates have always been a rip off - they never cared about small units having to shut down, never compromised with them

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top