Join for free
Page 10 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:37 AM

Re: It is cruel to keep chronically ill animals alive!

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Of course!
Well, I can appreciate that you have your own point of view, but I'm thankful to say that it's not shared by the majority of people here. If everyone inside this thread shared and agreed with your opinion - which you're very much entitled to, don't get me wrong - then I'd be seriously reconsidering my decision to stay on.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Well, I can appreciate that you have your own point of view, but I'm thankful to say that it's not shared by the majority of people here. If everyone inside this thread shared and agreed with your opinion - which you're very much entitled to, don't get me wrong - then I'd be seriously reconsidering my decision to stay on.
I feel sorry for the chronically ill animals whose owners don't have them put down.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:45 AM

What do you consider chronically ill T ? It covers a huge swathe of problems, some cause pain and distress and those yes I agree pts may be best but some cause nothing of the sort and the only one suffers is the bill payer and that's their choice the dog should be given a chance.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:46 AM

All chronically ill animals should be euthanised, minced/liquidised and served in the soup kitchens throughout the UK.
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 12:03 PM

All living things have a right to life. As for poorly pets as long as the pet is in no serious pain and is happily living it's life on medication whatever that entails, then there is no reason to have it put to sleep. However if an animal is in pain and cannot be cured or there is no pain relief then a good vet will advise putting the animal to rest. I had a Dachshund who took I'll but I made sure that every possible avenue the vet suggested was explored, he was put to sleep on vetinary advise. There are times when an animal like humans come to the end of the road. Until then they should in my view be given every chance in life.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sableline ->
All living things have a right to life. As for poorly pets as long as the pet is in no serious pain and is happily living it's life on medication whatever that entails, then there is no reason to have it put to sleep. However if an animal is in pain and cannot be cured or there is no pain relief then a good vet will advise putting the animal to rest. I had a Dachshund who took I'll but I made sure that every possible avenue the vet suggested was explored, he was put to sleep on vetinary advise. There are times when an animal like humans come to the end of the road. Until then they should in my view be given every chance in life.
Well I disagree.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 12:35 PM

I feel sorry for the chronically ill animals whose owners don't have them put down.
It depends on the nature of the illness and how much it affects quality of life. In one instance, I would have agreed with you - my mom's dog. She loved that dog so much that she let him suffer horribly till the end because she didn't want to lose him, which I felt was very selfish. I said, "Mom, please, I'm begging you... let me take him to our vet and have him put out of his misery."

She wouldn't let me. I was in a lot of personal pain watching that poor dog hobble around the house (one day I found him lying on his stomach with his head hanging in the cat litter box because he couldn't get back up) and it was heartbreaking. He was suffering. His quality of life was gone. It was time to let him go. When he finally took his last breath, I felt relieved.

However, putting an animal down is a very personal decision, but it *is* a decision you'll know you're ready to make. You just know when it's time. I've had plenty of animals put to sleep, from dogs and cats to birds and rats (we had rats as pets for many many years) but it was because I felt in my heart that it was time. And the animals themselves, in 'words' of their own, also tell you that it's time to go. It's just something you feel and perhaps Twink doesn't feel it's quite that bad yet. Besides, it's her pet, her decision. She knows better than any of us here the quality of life her kitty has.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sableline ->
I thoroughly agree with you and my cat, who seems to be the subject of this thread, is as fit as a fiddle providing he has his daily inhaler. In fact my vet said that anybody who would consider putting an animal to sleep, with his condition, would not be somebody whose animals she would like to care for.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 12:50 PM

I feel sorry for those who have never experienced the close companionship to a pet and are prepared to go to the expense and trouble of caring for it when it is sick rather than just putting it down at the first sign of illness.

For most of us caring pet owners there is no better way to repay a pet for years of companionship .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Excellent post, Meg.

Page 10 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top