Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 01:45 PM

Re: Save Our Sparrows

Some birds seem to have done well here recently. When we moved here we hardly saw a startling or magpie, but there's loads of them now. The large birds like crow, jackdaw, buzzard and herons seem to have done very well. Of course, living near the sea, we have a lot of gulls and wading birds too.
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 02:51 PM

The biggest problem for the lack of sparrows where I live in Co Durham is cats. Almost every house around me has one and that is no exaggeration. Seven in the garden the other night. They fled when the dog went out. I watched one the other afternoon sitting on the wall with a sparrow hanging from its mouth. I often see them stalking prey in my garden so I let the dog out. He cannot catch one as it is a small garden surrounded by a wall. The cats are up the wall like a rocket then just sit and watch the dog.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 03:04 PM

Love sparrows - not seen very much now
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 06:08 PM

Well come to my garden I have about 20 of them, as I do feed them every day and they all go to sleep in my Privit Hedge, which can get very noisy when its getting dark (they are all saying to each other - Night John Boy!).
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 06:23 PM

My dad used to take me out at night with a bicycle lamp to spot sleeping sparrows on the hedges. Rumour has it that when I was safely tucked up in bed, he sought out larger birds.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Well come to my garden I have about 20 of them, as I do feed them every day and they all go to sleep in my Privit Hedge, which can get very noisy when its getting dark (they are all saying to each other - Night John Boy!).
Aah - that's a lovely picture of them
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 07:02 PM

We have lots of sparrows here, the Spanish don't shoot everything in sight these days.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 07:47 PM

We got back the sparrows last year, they seem to be in short supply over the last few years......I blame the cats. blackbirds are still knocking around each day, I love the birds.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-11-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
We got back the sparrows last year, they seem to be in short supply over the last few years......I blame the cats. blackbirds are still knocking around each day, I love the birds.

Blackbirds are wonderful - we had a great one here that favoured the tree opposite - could he sing !
The tree was cut down to half and that lovely bird disappeared
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 07:53 PM

We have blackbirds and missel thrushes, but have not seen a song thrush for a long while now.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top