Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 11:21 PM

Save Our Sparrows

According to The British Trust for Ornithology, house sparrows have declined by 68% since 1977 - while populations in London have seen a massive 72% fall.

Research by OnePoll, commissioned for B & Q found that 57% of UK residents don't have a bird box in their garden. They say sparrows need a 32mm entrance hole if they are to be able to use nest boxes successfully.

The company has a guide to making bird boxes.
You can see the instructions on:

bit.ly/1NW4vH2 if anyone's interested. It would be such a shame to lose the last of our little sparrows.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 01:08 AM

Re: Save Our Sparrows

House sparrows don't need a box at all, the reason for their decline is bloody plastic soffit boards and strangely enough the collared doves that are eating their preferred food.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 07:57 AM

Sadly they are not alone Mups many of our common species have suffered similar fates, loss of habitat, agricultural practices being the main reasons.

Of course it can be halted to a degree, a reserve i go too put in place a plan for the Tree Sparrow that had seriously declined. The local ringing group provided plenty nesting sites and a good supply of Winter feed and the success rate has been spectacular providing satellite colonies that continue to expand into other areas.

One good result was a retrap of a bird ringed that turned in Yorkshire, it was thought that the species were largely sedentary.

Take them for granted and we could lose them, as many factors are contributing too there demise. Garden habitat is an important resource for their survival. I often feel they get overlooked in favour of the more colourful cousins. But i see them as just as colourful and they are great characters.

Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 08:10 AM

No shortage of sparrows here the pesky little devils.
Every year I wage war against these noisy squatters Grrrrrr.
Living in a listed building im fair game to these noisy intruders .i have to say I admire their chirpiness.
The kestrel it's another common sight that's disappearing from our landscape .
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 08:47 AM

No shortage of sparrows here, but a definite lack of coal tit, great tit etc..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
House sparrows don't need a box at all, the reason for their decline is bloody plastic soffit boards and strangely enough the collared doves that are eating their preferred food.

Tell the BTO that then. The article said normally they will nest in cracks in buildings but people are more energy aware now and repair the cracks in properties. Presumably they feel lots of nest boxes offer the sparrows another choice.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Another reason why some birds go missing

“The other reason for their absence is the abundance of berries and seeds available in the wider countryside during the autumn, which provide the nutrients that birds need to feed up for the winter.”

This is the time of year when trees, bushes, grasses and weeds start to produce their fruit and seeds so they can carry on their legacy into the following year. Lots of garden birds will head out into the wider countryside to fill up on these naturally calorific treats, which probably don’t grow in your gardens. When these fruits run out, usually as we get into November, the birds will come back to their more civilised haunts to wait out the winter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/...9-43dc578b4cd4
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 10:05 AM

Haven't seen a sparrow here in years we have blue tits and great tits sometimes and lots of big fat wood pigeons but they all get chased away by the magpies and crows which in turn leave when the hawk thing the council turned loose to deal with pigeons in the town centre - it took one look at the town centre and fled to terrorise the smaller birds in the surrounding areas
Alien
Uk
Alien is male  Alien has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 10:39 AM

It's all magpies and jays here , buzzards and the odd heron , mistle thrush , sparrow and starlings filled the skies years ago ... Can't remember the last time I saw a sparrow tbh
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 11:06 AM

We get lots of sparrows and robins which I love to see and lots of other birds which sorry I don't really know their names.

We also get lots of pigeons, which annoys me, but it does not stop the other birds feeding, which I am pleased about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top