Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 10:04 AM

Re: Some people !

I really don't understand poverty figures according to them we live in poverty but I don't feel like that, ok we can't afford some things but I don't feel we miss out on much we have heating, light, food on the table, roof over our heads. We have a campervan we are building in the car park, two dogs who don't go without. Internet, freesat TV etc

So what else could we really need ?

A pension would be nice but we will manage I am sure.

So what is poverty ?

Incidentally I know people on same sort of salary level as us who do look like they are poor so that puzzles me until I see they drink and smoke and want so much more like foreign travel etc
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Poverty does exist and we know that.
Debt - is another matter, people put themselves through that situation out of stupidity and greed in most cases, not all, some are just not good at handling their finances.
Maybe 'poverty' today is not handling the money they have very well, or just not having enough. Years ago - poverty was not having enough, for sure.......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 10:21 AM

I wasn't doubting it exists just at what level they say people are in poverty. When we were on benefit years ago we were in poverty. We struggled to afford the rental on our allotment and that was only £15 a year ! That's poverty.
Gaby
New Member!
Isle of Wight
Gaby is female 

25-04-2014, 10:27 AM

I once heard a do gooder on the radio quoting " Child poverty is when the family cannot afford to buy them all the goods their peers have" Not the poverty I knew as a child!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gaby ->
I once heard a do gooder on the radio quoting " Child poverty is when the family cannot afford to buy them all the goods their peers have" Not the poverty I knew as a child!
Absolutely right !
That's the problem - trying to keep up with others - they don't realise that's 'not' necessary at all. Just living as well as you can with little treats is enough - but that's the society we live in now, promotes greed.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I wasn't doubting it exists just at what level they say people are in poverty. When we were on benefit years ago we were in poverty. We struggled to afford the rental on our allotment and that was only £15 a year ! That's poverty.
Yep - I've been there too - you've answered yer own question there
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I really don't understand poverty figures according to them we live in poverty but I don't feel like that, ok we can't afford some things but I don't feel we miss out on much we have heating, light, food on the table, roof over our heads. We have a campervan we are building in the car park, two dogs who don't go without. Internet, freesat TV etc

So what else could we really need ?

A pension would be nice but we will manage I am sure.

[So what is poverty ?

Incidentally I know people on same sort of salary level as us who do look like they are poor so that puzzles me until I see they drink and smoke and want so much more like foreign travel etc
]

I've had some tough times, with little money but you have to get your priorities right. An Iphone and Ipad for each child while you puff away, bemoaning the cost of trips to Florida, is not poverty!!
I know it's all relative but food and heat with a roof over your head, paid for by the state, is an absolute luxury in some places.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-04-2014, 12:37 PM

So right ......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 01:20 PM

Yes some people like jam on both sides of their daily bread, unfortunately it makes the families who really need help look bad too.

Now that Frankie laine song is stuck in my mind and I can't evict it "Some people say a man is made out of mud, a poor man's made out of muscle and blood…" Damn it!, I should have said nothing.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Jem - you've done it now
I like the song tho' - so its OK
hum hum hum hum St. Peter don't ya call me, cos I cant go...... I owe my soul - to the company store - da da da da - da di da da

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top