Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 05:40 AM

Alcoholics to get liver transplants!

This is the first time on the NHS - George Best of course had his done privately and no doubt paid a lot of money!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ldnt-help.html

The question remains "should we treat persons who knowingly inflict harm to their bodies in a regular fashion and then demand or just ask for treatment"?

for example: heavy smokers; over -eating; excessive sugar users contracting diabetes; illicit drug users - at some time they will require treatment of some sort and the views are always divided - help them regardless for they are citizens and have paid their dues or refuse them as they have ignored the health warnings?

are we a caring society or not?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Re: Alcoholics to get liver transplants!

It's clear that ALL should get an equal chance of treatment. If not, where do you draw the line. Do you refuse treatment for people hurt doing dangerous sports ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:20 AM

I agree in principle Alan but until we have treated everyone who is innocently in pain and put their lives back together the people like me who have caused their own problems should be at the back of the queue.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Drinkers - smokers - sports fanatics etc ..... have already paid heavily in taxes, so yes - should get treatment.
The Government needs to stop silly policies of for instance, extending drinking hours !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:27 AM

I really don't like the idea of transplants etc going to people who have done their own damage when innocents die waiting though. Just doesn't sit well with me.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Well children should be top of the list for sure, they haven't made lifestyle choices yet .......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 11:05 AM

I really couldn't make up my mind on this Gumbud, when it comes to giving life saving treatment to people and you have to make a choice you would either have to be very wise or very tough, and I'm neither, but I suppose it's a bit like in a war situation, you always treat your own wounded first, and I'd guess that is what's happening now in the health service, your own being the people who dont drink/smoke/ overeat, etc. There are lots of ways to put your health in danger even unwittingly, the city dweller for example is inhaling toxic fumes from vehicles every day by just walking down the street, yet they never highlight that danger, as Alan says, where do you draw the line.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 11:39 AM

Personally i think we have gone to far and i dont agree with any sort of transplant.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

That's tough when we have the technology I couldn't say anyone should be denied the chance if their disease is not their fault in any way.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Imagine the following scenario - a young man in his early twenties with lung cancer and requires a lung transplantation that is available - but then another 70 year old with chronic chest condition - emphysema which he will die from rapidly if a transplant is not available - one lung only available at present - who gets it and why?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top