Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 04:52 AM

Much to my surprise

There appears to be poison ivy lurking in a sea of English ivy and periwinkle in my front garden. I waded in, wearing rubber boots but no gloves, to prune and pull out some weeds last week and now I've got the telltale blisters, itch, and redness. Swathed my right forearm in ointment and gauze then cut the heel off a sock to make a sleeve to hold the dressings in place. Grrr.

On the bright side I also found a healthy spirea and a wee rose bush. No idea how they got it there.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Re: Much to my surprise

Hi Annie Poison Ivy doesn't grow over here , it sounds really nasty. Hope you gardening wounds heal soon ...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Annie Poison Ivy doesn't grow over here , it sounds really nasty. Hope you gardening wounds heal soon ...
I've encountered it while camping, well away from the city. Never occurred to me that it would somehow take hold in the garden! I took a closer look this morning and there's quite a lot of it mixed into the other ground cover. Might spray with vinegar and dish soap to see if I can kill it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 04:52 PM

I didn't know poison ivy grew in the UK; it's rampant here in my area; I had it in the front garden. The oozing, itching pustules are horrible. Can you get Roundup spray there; that will kill it.

I hope some idiot didn't import it, as they did with the Eastern grey squirrel, because the foliage is very colorful in the Autumn. It's very invasive, and the birds spread it as they eat the berries.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

21-07-2011, 05:14 PM

I just soaked all the leaves I could see with vinegar and dish soap. Roundup was banned here a while back. Will check in a few hours to see if there's any sign of wilting.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

21-07-2011, 05:17 PM

My front garden is a raised bed and sometimes kids waiting for the bus will sit on the edge of it drinking pop or coffee and leave their empties behind. I realized this morning there's a big patch of poison ivy beside that spot so perhaps a few of those litterbugs have taken away a rash. Ha!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Hey that was a good tip regarding the sock.... wouldnt have thought of that in a month of Sundays
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Sorry, Annie, forgot you were in Canada, not the UK... senior moment!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

21-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Hey that was a good tip regarding the sock.... wouldnt have thought of that in a month of Sundays
The dryer ate the other sock so I'm glad I found use for this one.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

21-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Sorry, Annie, forgot you were in Canada, not the UK... senior moment!
Ha ha! I didn't catch your meaning when I read the post - I'll claim heat stress as well as senior moment.

Just checked the poison ivy - despite being doused with vinegar and subjected to extreme heat the leaves don't look at all wilted. I, on the other hand, am definitely wilting. Nap time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top