Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Tompots.

Sorry to butt into the garden Folks but I have something unusual to report, well I think it's unusual and so does the Wife who asked me to let you gardening experts know.
My missus planted some seed potatoes in March, just a small plot, they have come up grand but on one of the potato stalks are two small tomatoes growing away!. Right enough she had planted tomatoes some years back and they were unsuccessful and died off. I got my Grandson to take a picture on his 'phone camera and as soon as I can get my Son over to transfer the shot I will put it in my profile album. Imagine the benefits of this to ease World hunger, Tomatoes and potatoes on the one plant!.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Re: Tompots.

It will be interesting to see the photo,s JF.
I have grown Potatoes and tomatoes all my life and never seen one.

I have grown square tomatoes and heartshaped one, I have grown Cucumbers in a letter C state and Carrots with three legs but never Pots and Toms.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2011, 07:07 PM

I am not joking you AB, I'm no good with a camera so I'm going to get my Son to take some good shots and will surely show you, the Wife drew my attention to it and we are sure they are two little green tomatoes the size of an old two shilling piece growing halfway up the stalk, but we know very little about growing things. Wish I could get Portland Bob over with his camera's.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Jemflux, occasionally potatoes will set fruit; rarely, they do resemble tomato fruits (same genus,) and they are toxic! Here's a link with a pic:

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...to-fruits.html

And an article about it:http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...atopotato.html

Sorry to rain on your parade ....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Thats them Eileen, they are exactly the ones on the potato stalk, its a good job I checked with you Folks because I might just have tried one out of curiosity. And I thought we had a natural genetic breakthrough!. Thank you indeed.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2011, 07:52 PM

Glad you didn't try one, Jem!
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Well Well we learn something everyday. I haven't heard about that before.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Hi jem I am aware tomatoes and potatoes belong to he same family and this inclues deadly nightshade .

There is an old addage about never eating any part of a potato which grows above the ground or any part of a tomato which grows below

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top