Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Can you Name This?

I bought a tiny wee plant last May at a Car Boot Sale. I thought it was an Ivy and I wanted it for one of my Baskets. It's got lovely Pink Flowers that only come out when the Suns on them. It's got a soft feel to the leaves as well.....I somehow doubt it's an Ivy after all. I'd like to find out what it is as I want more of it for next year.

rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Re: Can you Name This?

Not sure but it looks like it might be the periwinkle (major)
The lesser pewinkle (minor) has small blue flowers.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 02:16 PM

very pretty what ever it is
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Where's Plantman when you need him...............
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
Not sure but it looks like it might be the periwinkle (major)
The lesser pewinkle (minor) has small blue flowers.
Hmmmmm Looking at it again I don't think it is
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Rueben, vinca major is blue also, just larger.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Sorry can't help, but looks very pretty......
rueben
lancs uk

04-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Rueben, vinca major is blue also, just larger.
You are correct; common colour for the vinca's is blue but I believe other less common colours in white and pinks are cultivated too.-Even so the plant in the basket really doesn't resemble one. I am wondering if it is from the succulent family it's stems and leaves have that appearance!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2011, 10:01 AM

It looks like an Aeonium domesticum variegata in the photo, although that has white flowers normally. I've seen it in Spain.
As a matter of interest, I've bought and grown Lantanas here in the UK after seeing them in Spain so maybe someone's importing or growing these too?
Interestingly, I've often grown plants with white flowers and then found that they produced blue flowers. On one occasion I grew Hesperis and one plant had separate white AND blue flower spikes on it! stevmk2
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm going to take cuttings as there's several joints on the plant, I'll also pot up the orignal piece.....Hopefully they will survive over the winter and I'll have a few for next year. My daughter has said she wants some too. The photo doesn't really do it justice....it's a lovely plant and the growth was fast and a lot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top