Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Myths, legends and folklore of Hellebores

I found this whilst looking up something else on this site, there seem to be many interesting articles on here...

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/20...lklore-of.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Re: Myths, legends and folklore of Hellebores

Interesting Wanda I used to have some Hellebores in the garden with green flowers which were indistinguishable from the leaves but they died off.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Interesting link Wonda, I've bookmarked it to read through later.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Travelling back through the millennia and you will find that many of the ancient civilisations have used hellebore as a medicine. Traditionally used as a cure for paralysis, gout, and insanity, many species within the hellebore family are in fact highly toxic causing symptoms such as vertigo, swelling of the tongue and throat, tinnitus, and thirst. In extreme cases it can lead to slowing of the heart, heart attacks, stupor, and even death.
I had no idea Hellebores were highly toxic, just as well they died off before the twins arrived touching things in the garden .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Thanks for that link, very interesting! I had hellebores in my front garden, they flourished and got larger clumps every year; I'm going to miss them. This was one last year..

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Thanks for that link, very interesting! I had hellebores in my front garden, they flourished and got larger clumps every year; I'm going to miss them. This was one last year..

[IMG][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1283.jpg
Eileen those look lovely and much more interesting than my green flowering ones

Mine were Stinking Hellebores not very pleasent all round as you will gather from the name ...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Meg, the flowers on mine, especially the white ones, often turned green when old; they last for ages!

This is a better pic:

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-08-2011, 09:06 PM

....that's beautiful Eileen Mine were poor cousins of those .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

21-08-2011, 09:34 PM

I didn't realize I have no pics of the white ones until I looked for them! Too late now.........
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 09:50 PM

I love Hellebores, never had them as they tend to fall sideways as if a cat has sat in them, wish I had now, although i am cutting down on plants in the garden as I havent done any gardening this year, its been left to Joe who isnt really a gardener. Never though I would not feed the plants and care for them, so next year it will be a different matter, less to do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top