Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Yikes.

I asked Himself to dig up a Shrub that I needed moving as it was too large for the place it was in. About an hour later I looked at it and the leaves were all limp and hanging (gulp) That was 4 days ago and it's still like this
The plant's called Black Lace, does anyone have one, and do you know if it will recover?
I've moved things around in the garden before but never with this result.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Re: Yikes.

Hi Roxy have you given it lots of water to settle it in?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 04:40 PM

It got a big bucket full of water at the time of moving, but it rained all the next day.....the ground around it is still damp.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
It got a big bucket full of water at the time of moving, but it rained all the next day.....the ground around it is still damp.
Roxy the rain may not have penetrated to the roots, I would give it a bucket full daily around the roots until it settles in .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 06:56 PM

I hope you manage to save it, Roxy... it's really beautiful
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 07:03 PM

Sambuca negra is the latin name if that helps with cultivation tips.

I think I agree with Meg - lots of water! It's a pretty tough plant, so, fingers crossed for you!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 07:06 PM

I thought you should wait till the dormant season to move plants, but could be wrong.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

31-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Hi Roxy, your Black Lace or any elder really will tolerate most soils from waterlogged to very chalky and moving them whatever time within reason does not usually cause a problem.

As everyone says, plenty of water is the secret even if it is chucking it down give it at least a bucketful a day.

The plants are usually pruned back hard in the early spring to control the growth but I would not go that far in September. However, it may help if it is a bit top heavy to prune off some of the top growth to give it a leg up. Keep checking around the plant and if you see some basal shoots sprouting it will have got over the shock of moving and started to grow again.

There was another post on here about a similar plant, try this link.
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=5419
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

01-09-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the advice people, I gave it a bucket of water last evening and another one this morning, will keep doing this till I see (hopefully) some sign of improvement. Think I'll also cut it back a wee bit too.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2011, 02:32 PM

I'm always a bit loathe to move and disturb plants and shrubs, as most of the time, they never take in the new place.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top