Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Moss

I have a big patch of Moss growing on the Flagstones on the Patio....it's spreading at an alarming rate too. I've used the Garden Hoe and scraped it up a few times but it just keeps coming back. It looks awful and it's slippy, does anyone have any idea how to get rid of it for good?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Re: Moss

This might be helpful ........

http://www.gardenguides.com/93206-kill-moss-pavers.html

If the patio is shady the moss will probably come back. I've heard vinegar sprayed on it will do the job also. Good luck!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Wow....That's excellent thankyou I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

15-10-2011, 08:45 PM

The old Jeyes fluid worked well on algae and moss but like a lot of things it was changed to comply with EU regs and it is not as good as it once was and yet still smells awful.

A lot of 'moss killers' also contain iron which can stain a nice patio. Some folks use a solution of Glyphosate but it is dangerous stuff to use with animals about.

It is ok to use a very dilute form of thin household bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) but always add the bleach to the water not the other way round and keep plenty of clean water handy in case of mishaps.
Being bleach it can also damage any plants or grass so one has to be careful and it might take several applications to shift it and then has to be repeated every so often.

The simplest thing I have used for years is nothing more than clean sharp sand and a broom , oh and yes a great deal of hard work scrubbing it. It is worth the effort when you see the results and it lasts because you lift the tiny moss plants off the surface not drown them.

Good luck.
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2011, 09:27 AM

We've tried everything,to no avail, but noticed that on the Indian flagstones on the patio there are patches where moss just won't adhere.As clean as the day we bought them.I'm wondering if there's some mineral within that is resistant to moss..............
Would love to have an analysis done to find out......
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2011, 03:58 PM

There are preparations that you can buy to clear moss from patios but I have used bleach in the past and it's done the job. It's cheap and effective but makes sure you keep it away from plants and lawns. Good luck.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2011, 04:44 PM

I just use my karcher power washer, it does the job for a while, but it will come back if the area is in shade.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top