Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Lilac shrub is poorly

I have a mature lilac shrub in the garden which seems to be poorly for some reason or other. Its a very mature shrub, around 10ft high.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the leaves at the top were starting to curl and this has continued throughout the shrub and now some of the lower leaves which have gone curly are also starting to go brown.

Have any of you keen gardeners come across this before? There's a Rhododendrum about the same size next to it and that seems ok. I haven't looked on the internet for solutions yet, thought I'd ask here first
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 11:08 PM

Re: Lilac shrub is poorly

Sorry, haven't got any answers for you, but I would like to know why this has happened to mine too. Moved here 2 years ago and planted a lilac shrub and it has slowly withered to nothing When I was in Yorkshire, I had one blue lilac and one white lilac and they flourished!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 11:15 PM

I have a small 4 year old lilac and that too has withered and dropped its leaves a couple of months ago

I wonder if there is some sort of lilac disease going around?
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Oh that's strange then. Its a real shame as I do like them. I inherited this one when I moved here 3 yrs ago and its always been healthy until now. I was planning on pruning it a bit as its got so big but there's no point now if its going to die I hope it wont though!

It will be interesting to see if its also happened to others.
marpaul
North Cumbria

26-10-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I have a small 4 year old lilac and that too has withered and dropped its leaves a couple of months ago

I wonder if there is some sort of lilac disease going around?
Oh yes I wonder if there is. Mine hasn't shed any leaves yes but guess they will start dropping soon. Has yours actually died Mags? Or do you think it might regrow in the spring?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Oh yes I wonder if there is. Mine hasn't shed any leaves yes but guess they will start dropping soon. Has yours actually died Mags? Or do you think it might regrow in the spring?
It has been so mild down here in the SW that the shrub has started leaf budding again so hopefully it may survive the winter yet.

Hopefully the same will happen with yours, Marian.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2011, 11:31 PM

I think we should all go out in our gardens and give them a talking to Well, they say you should talk to your plants don't they?
marpaul
North Cumbria

26-10-2011, 11:52 PM

Thats good then Mags that your's has started to bud again. Its a lot colder up here though, but who knows it may survive the winter. I'd better not make any attempt at pruning though

Carmen, yes i think you are right we should all go and talk to our plants. Can you imagine what it would be like if we all did it
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 02:23 AM

Here in the States lilac is susceptible to powdery mildew; are the leaves just brown, or with a greyish tint/film to them? It's not fatal, just disfiguring.
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 04:31 AM

I planted a lilac when i got here last year and its not grown at all allthough it did sprout leaves i do hope its going to grow next year ..Think mine needs a talking to as well..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top