Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Re: Lilac shrub is poorly

Lilacs are generally hardy and tolerate most conditions but dislike air pollution, for instance if you live by a busy road or in a city and have had a mild winter the leaf fall you describe can occur. however it could be a number of things and I would ask at a garden centre for a suitable pesticide spray next Spring and keep my fingers crossed.
Brian 8451.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 01:19 PM

marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 01:24 PM

I don't remember pressing the send button!!

The first photo shows the brown patches and the second shows high big the shrub is. I hope it does recover, fingers crossed!!

Eileen, have looked at the leaves and there's no sign of mildew.
Brian, yes I think I will have to ask about it at the garden centre if it doesn't pick up next spring. There's no pollution here as I live in the country and we had a very hard winter last year.
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 01:38 PM

What a shame a nice large specimen too, so if it is not the growing conditions then I would plump for a pesticide in the spring you could be lucky.
Brian 8451
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 02:12 PM

I'm wondering if it could possibly be lilac blight, Marian

http://donsgarden.co.uk/pests/301
marpaul
North Cumbria

27-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks for sending the link Mags which i've just been reading. Hmmm not too sure if that's the problem or not, its a possibility though. I probably need to delve further into this as see what else I come up with. Its such a shame though as its obviously quite an old shrub so I hope it does survive, but I will do what the article says.

Actually there are some new shoots appearing which is good.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Well who would have guessed.... I always talk to mine in the garden .. and the damned things died after the winter. I lost so many trees and shrubs last winter, but it was terribley cold here and they say it will be this coming winter. I refuse to replace them so have bought a Dutch Arbour to fill some space and its back is next to the house next door so I dont have to look at the little rat of a man who lives next door.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 03:45 PM

I've not been on here for a while again so I missed this - and it's quite a coincidence too.
I've recently had to look at a Lilac that was donated and planted in memory of a former resident where I now work.
This plant was about 5 years old I think but still only 10 inches tall, with the same leaf problem in the photo.
There was a lot of hand-ringing about it so I had a look at it.
I dug it up and inspected the roots, which looked quite healthy to me, so I thought I'd beef-up the soil a bit and replant it, mainly because I found 4 new shoots just beneath the surface.
I had to go back to the shed first but when I returned I found four very large grubs coming out of the rootball and, when I shook the rootball, several smaller ones also fell out!

I dunked the whole rootball in a bucket of luke-warm water for a while and then replanted it.
That was two weeks ago and it definitely looks better so I'll keep an eye on it, give it a good talking to and see whether the buds now forming come out in the new year.
I don't know much about the grubs but I've found them in my own garden and on large specimens of shrubs I've added a general pesticide in an area of about three feet around the base of the plant and it's usually worked.
I've also fed the plant quite heavily in spring too.
The only difference that I've seen is two identical Garrya shrubs, the same age, same aspect, same soil yet one is 10 feet and the other only 5 feet. Both are healthy and growing well but the smaller one will, I suspect, always be the smaller of the two as they are now 12 years old!! stevmk2
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Thank you stevmk2 for the info. I will take a look at the roots to see if there is anything untoward lurking there. Not sure about Marian though, as it's such a large shrub.
marpaul
North Cumbria

27-10-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Well who would have guessed.... I always talk to mine in the garden .. and the damned things died after the winter. I lost so many trees and shrubs last winter, but it was terribley cold here and they say it will be this coming winter. I refuse to replace them so have bought a Dutch Arbour to fill some space and its back is next to the house next door so I dont have to look at the little rat of a man who lives next door.
That's a shame then Annie that you lost so many shrubs and tress last year but it sounds like you've come up with a good idea of the Dutch Arbour

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top