Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 09:36 PM

Re: C.o.p.d

just been told my brother now has it hes been smoking since he was 15
and his wife also
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Pixie, with the right medication, no ciggies and exercise they will feel so much better. I and many others will testify to that.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
just been told my brother now has it hes been smoking since he was 15
and his wife also
Ann darlin' - your Brother now has an overwhelming reason to now quit smoking altogether and since he shouldn't be in a smoky atmosphere at all his OH also needs to quit too or at very least not smoke in his presence.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Since I started this thread my mother in law has started to take a short walk around the block. She uses her inhalers regularly and when she is breathless after her walk. She is eating better, not so tired and is actually getting bored with the television programmes she used to sit and watch hour after hour. There will be no cure for COPD but listening to the doctor and doing as he advises is good. I also got some good advice from the COPD help line.

Mother in law was advised not to swallow the sputum but to put it in a tissue and throw it in the toilet. Not a pleasant thing to talk about but she is so well something must be working.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Since I started this thread my mother in law has started to take a short walk around the block. She uses her inhalers regularly and when she is breathless after her walk. She is eating better, not so tired and is actually getting bored with the television programmes she used to sit and watch hour after hour. There will be no cure for COPD but listening to the doctor and doing as he advises is good. I also got some good advice from the COPD help line.

Mother in law was advised not to swallow the sputum but to put it in a tissue and throw it in the toilet. Not a pleasant thing to talk about but she is so well something must be working.
Cate I am pleased to hear you MIL is improving a little
I think it is important to keep going with walks as long as one is able. It may take quite a bit of effort to do so but is worth it in the end because it maintains and even builds up stamina.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2012, 03:40 PM

I don't like reading this thread ... it worries me.

But I've read it a few times as you're all so honest and very supportive and encouraging. What a lovely, friendly bunch you are .... some of the nicest in webbyland I've ever come across.

The remarks that stuck in my mind were from
dandysmom.
She has given up smoking because she HAD to .. even though she misses a ciggie. I wish I could be like you. I admire you ... I really do.
Doctor
He can't give up. I know how you feel!

I can relate to both of them.
I don't have COPD ... or at least it hasn't been diagnosed.
But ... I know something is wrong. No chest infections or wheezing but lately, especially in winter my nose, sinuses and throat get so clotted. Sometimes I find it better going asleep sitting up. I actually feel better when I have a proper cold!
I wake up in the middle of the night with a tight dry cough and have to have a cuppa to moisten everything up and clear out. A year or two back I went to the doctor about this and he sent me for a chest x-ray .... it came back saying a slight chest infection and he said not to worry.
Even then I asked if it was the beginning of bronchitis and he assured me it ... was not bronchitis but similar ... and would clear up on its own.
Oh ... I'm fine out in the fresh air.
Someone mentioned bloating?
Do you mean like in water retention and gaining weight? For no reason I've gained weight ... I call it my joey pouch cos it looks like I'm about to give birth.

So ... after reading this I have to own up I've a big problem developing but I know I can't stop smoking. I enjoy a ciggie too much, like Doctor. But know I should stop .. like dandysmom.
Those of you with experience of this COPD are probably thinking to yourselves ... silly girl ... I wish I had my time again to make the change.

I can't just stop smoking. Haven't the willpower.
So I've made a little effort ... call it a cop out.
I've bought one of them electronic ciggies that just contain nicotine. I've tried lozenges before and ended up spitting them out so I can have a proper ciggie. I think I need to hold a ciggie in my hand.
I usually smoke between 20 to 25 a day.
Since Wednesday I've smoked 15 and topped up with puffs on my elctronic ciggie.
When that's comfy I shall drop down to 10.
I've smoked for that many years I don't mind allowing months for me stop.

And guys ... thanks.
I've been thinking of it for months .. well, maybe a year or two but it's only after reading this that I've decided to tackle my problem at last.

What a godawful long post!
Sorry for that.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Glad you are trying to stop smoking, try going cold turkey, stop all together, now. You can do it if you want too, and think how much better you will feel. Next time you have one bow your smoke through a white hanky and see the colour after, that is whats going into your lungs. Sorry trying to help.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Morticia darlin' - been there, done that and bought the 'T' shirt!!! - like you I was a 25 a day smoker. Was hospitalised with a Pulmonary Embolism (a blood clot inside the lung) - the first of FIVE!!! Was in a hospital bed for a week and unable to smoke - Doctor slapped a nicotine patch on my arm 'cos I was beginning to 'climb the wall' despite how ill I was.

As to your 'stuffiness' I too have had this problem and again can offer some advice. There is no 'quick fix' to this problem - it may take weeks or months and could return at some future date too, BUT to assist, night and morning - smear a little Vick's Vapour rub around your nostrils and upper lip. If you can bear to do it - eat some raw onion too (a cheese and onion sarnie is fabulous) - this will help to kill off any infection in either your sinuses or lungs.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Morticia, ask your dr for some Mucodyne capsules. These are taken 2 or 3 times a day and loosen everything up in your sinuses, chest, throat. You want to be clear so that germs cannot breed easily. Only an idea, sorry if this comes across wrong, just typing quickly.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top