Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 11:32 AM

How will corona virus change the way we live

Interesting article.

Can you add to this list? What changes do you see?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52356136
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 11:35 AM

Re: How will corona virus change the way we live

I think for sure many people will realise a stressful and expensive commute to work every day isn't really necessary so more people will spend some of their time working from home.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think for sure many people will realise a stressful and expensive commute to work every day isn't really necessary so more people will spend some of their time working from home.
I feel sure many employers will also realise it's possible for more employees to work from home, thus saving the need for expensive offices. Just doing that equates to more profits and with what's possibly coming to the economy as a result of this coronavirus any savings will be sought. There are usually business rates on offices so that will mean less income for local councils, I wonder where they will look for that lost income?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 12:49 PM

It's far too soon and probably impossible to predict.

There are two absolute certainties though. The way that we used to live, the standard of living we became accustomed to, the social services people become used to, and things they saw as their entitlements will be things of the past and mostly gone for ever.

The other change is The Elephant is the degree of unrest and worse that will break out because of racial and religious hatred.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 12:53 PM

One thing that will change even faster, than before, is the profitability of Firms which have embraced online shopping, versus those who said "why change".

Some, like Amazon , Argos, Screwfix, etc seem to by flying now.

The others?

Empty shops on the high streets.

Most of us have learned that online shopping is great, especially when you're locked in, even thought we might have to wait a little longer to get our stuff.

On line Doctors, on line meetings, working from home - all down to the Virus.

(woe betide those without communications gear!)
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 01:33 PM

Although online shopping is certainly "convenient" we are essentially sociable creatures.

I like that to imagine that in some form that the high street will make a come back.
Naive perhaps but I live in hope.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 01:38 PM

With all the comfort eating going on, some won’t be able to get out of their house, even if they wanted to!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9802F92-2086-4DFD-89C3-600DBBE74513.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	12451  
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's far too soon and probably impossible to predict.

There are two absolute certainties though. The way that we used to live, the standard of living we became accustomed to, the social services people become used to, and things they saw as their entitlements will be things of the past and mostly gone for ever.

The other change is The Elephant is the degree of unrest and worse that will break out because of racial and religious hatred.
Why? My standard of living has not changed during lock down - why would it change afterward?

Sadly, I have to agree with you about the Elephant and feel there will be big problems there.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Why? My standard of living has not changed during lock down - why would it change afterward?

Sadly, I have to agree with you about the Elephant and feel there will be big problems there.
The standard of living in the UK and the western world will tank because of stagflation which will see unemployment significantly rise along with monetary inflation and stalled economic growth. Prices of essentials most of which are imported will soar while the market for that which we still produce will at least stall if not collapse.

This can only result in the inability to buy what we have become accustomed to buying and worse.

The natural standard of living for people in the UK is about the same as that in Dickensian times.

It's only been the finance sector that has resulted in us doing so well after the end of the Post War boom which ended in the very early 60's.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

Neither has mine, still getting my pension like always, since I retired. Guess I & people in the same place as me are the lucky ones.

Other peoples circumstances are different though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top