Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 03:41 PM

Re: Who Votes?

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
You seem to have provoked the ire of the usual on here, must be doing something right then! Little Englanders don’t seem to like more democratic systems out of their little isolationist bubble.We have a semi-proportional system for the Scottish Parliament, which is not perfect but better than pure first by the post (the system even helped the Tories up here!) . They also don’t like the idea of compulsory voting, perhaps because it might relegate extremists to the margins where they belong!
Gan oan yersel mate!
Really love throwing insults about don't you?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Does that mean that with compulsory voting you get less chance of the hard left and hard right gaining control or does it mean that you end up with a parliament with lots of small parties scrabbling around to build up their voting potential?
I don't know that is true but I suspect that it is, the hard left or right tend to attract less than 10% of any population anyway but they are possibly more likely to vote so their percentage as a proportion of the voting population is higher where voting is not compulsory. However I am guessing.

Certainly in the lower house a party usually gets a majority to govern in its own right, even the current government which has a minority government gets its legislation through with the aid of the crossbench.

No party has had a majority in the senate for decades (with one exception) and the government has to negotiate to get contentious legislation through the upper house depending on the make up of the crossbench (95% of legislation goes through unopposed). Remember that the minor parties/senators range from left to right so it is not an impossible task for either main parties especially with a bit of horse trading and pork barrelling.

John Howard once had a majority in the Senate which lead to the passing of Work Choices which not only resulted in a landslide against his government but also the loss of his safe seat. I think it works well because neither side of politics can get extreme legislation (like Work Choices) through. Senators are also mindful of 'mandate' and also that the senate represents the individual States making up the Commonwealth.

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Is it easier for people to vote on a Saturday as there are far less people who have to work on that day rather than a weekday?
I think so, it means most people can get to a polling station sometime during the day rather than most people having to rush to a booth after work. Queues are rare though sometimes you have to queue but generally queues are not long. BTW you are not restricted to one polling station (as I understand is the case in the UK - not sure about that) but can attend any polling station within the electorate.

Having said that at the last state election 40% of the vote was cast at pre poll stations which open for two weeks before the official poll.

Personally I always vote pre poll all you have to do is tell the official that you will be interstate, pregnant, working etc on polling day to cast a vote. It is a self declaration and never queried.

Taken as a whole it is a pretty good system and the independent role of the Electoral Commission makes it work well in practice. Electorates, by legislation, must be of a similar size and redistribution this year has lead to two previously Liberal (government) seats becoming nominally Labor seats - I can't see many governments around the world allowing that if it weren't for the fact that the Commission is independent of government (Separation of Powers etc).

Three year terms are also a feature, if a government is awful you can chuck it out before it does too much damage, though you could argue that this leads to short term politics.

Sorry that is a bit long.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 01:47 AM

I mentioned that electorates must be the same size. That is in population not area. For example if you look at an electoral map of the biggest state WA then it looks like two electorates! the majority of the State's MPs come from around Perth and Fremantle but the majority of the state's area is covered by just two MPs.

Similarly with all states there are large areas represented by some MPs - they get a good travel allowance

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.04.30_10h44m10s_001_.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	9456  
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Really love throwing insults about don't you?
That's rich coming from you fender, you old rascal!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Bruce.
Thank you for the answers to my two questions.
🙂

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top