Join for free
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:41 AM

Jury Service

I have been summoned for the first time.
I haven't a clue what to expect.
But I suppose I will have to do my duty.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:46 AM

Re: Jury Service

Take a good book with you some of them are so bleeding boring. I did a couple at Knightsbridge,the first one I just followed the rest of the sheep to where we were herded the second I was sleeping most of the time.
Such a boring experience imo.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I have been summoned for the first time.
I haven't a clue what to expect.
But I suppose I will have to do my duty.

Well done Sweetie, - congratulations!!!

You will be one of dozens of people called and you will be 'vetted' by the Prosecution and Defence Lawyers - they have the right to 'object' to you without reason, in those circumstances you'll be placed on 'standby' for another trial. If you're actually chosen, take a notepad and pen - if there is something you see or hear but don't quite understand, you have the right to send a note the judge, asking for clarification. The notepad is also useful for memory jog of the actual evidence.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:54 AM

I was summoned and did it the first time but second time I was allowed to refuse as I’d not long done it ....
Pain free but boring week was had
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Take a good book with you some of them are so bleeding boring. I did a couple at Knightsbridge,the first one I just followed the rest of the sheep to where we were herded the second I was sleeping most of the time.
Such a boring experience imo.
Oh thanks for that. I suppose it depends on the case.

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Well done Sweetie, - congratulations!!!

You will be one of dozens of people called and you will be 'vetted' by the Prosecution and Defence Lawyers - they have the right to 'object' to you without reason, in those circumstances you'll be placed on 'standby' for another trial. If you're actually chosen, take a notepad and pen - if there is something you see or hear but don't quite understand, you have the right to send a note the judge, asking for clarification. The notepad is also useful for memory jog of the actual evidence.
Thank you Joe, I would have taken that anyway. I wanted to get other people's experiences.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

11-01-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
I was summoned and did it the first time but second time I was allowed to refuse as I’d not long done it ....
Pain free but boring week was had
My first ever. I am apprehensive.
Oh and worried.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 11:19 AM

How about afterwards,are you allowed to talk about the case and how you (jury) came to make the decision.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Nothing to be worried about , as I remember it ( was years ago) I turned up Monday and sat around , Tuesday sat around ,Wednesday ... yes you guessed it ... but suddenly Thursday and Shazam we were called to do our bit and sworn in and all that palava and then listened to both prosecution and defence ( I believe you are never allowed to talk about it forever afterwards so I’d be silly in an open forum to do so but enough to say when a policeman catches you climbing over a fence with the alleged stolen property in your possession there’s a good chance your guilty !!! ) so the morning was spent listening to proceedings ... adjourn to separate room for us to decide ( that wasn’t difficult given the evidence) then back in for verdict and sentencing ... then Friday was another boring day and that was it .... claim expenses and bobs your uncle ..
About a year or two later and another letter for jury service drops on my lap but this time I could say thanks but no thanks as I’d done it within whatever the time frame was and could decline ( remembering how boring it was last time I simply ticked the ‘no chance ‘ box and that was it gone ..
But nothing whatsoever to worry about apart from take a good book along !!
Word of warning as a friends experience was somewhat different and she ended up on jury service and obviously it’s pot luck what case you get called for and she ended up on one that took best part of a year as I remember ... so her advice would be to take a bigger book !!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 11:32 AM

I’ve never been summoned, had wanted to take part but now would refuse on the grounds of ‘I have a dog, and can’t leave her all day, every day’.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
My first ever. I am apprehensive.
Oh and worried.
There is nothing to worry about Sweetie.In fact you will probably enjoy it and be best friends with the rest of the group by the end of it. As others have said, it can be boring because judges suddenly decide they are not coming in that day even though you have been sitting there for hours.

Keep receipts for any travel costs whether it's bus, train, parking etc and you should get subsidised meals while you are there too.

You could take a book to read but I found that when I did it (Have done it twice now) we all got along so well that we didn't stop chatting for the whole two weeks.

What I did find strange is being partly responsible for someone's fate but you will no doubt get a gut feeling about the case.

Enjoy the experience.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top