Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 10:38 PM

UK trade with other EU countries

Interesting chart here from fullfact.org:

Suggests many EU member states have much more to lose than we do from BrExit.!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 10:43 PM

Re: UK trade with other EU countries

Our resident friend from the Netherlands comes in at No 4 . . . lol

Small wonder he spends all his waking hours trying to convince us to stay !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 10:43 PM

Honestly Realist - we are reliant on imports. We import a lot of components and raw materials which are needed for manufacturing etc. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove but it shows a fundamental ignorance of how the economy works.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-02-2019, 10:46 PM

It's not my chart Annie. Go take it up with FullFact.org if you don't like it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-02-2019, 10:48 PM

Point is, out of the EU we will be free to import from other countries with our own deals. That would clearly cause significant problems for Germany, Spain, Belgium and Netherlands and the others who clearly rely on the UK massively for their exports.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Honestly Realist - we are reliant on imports. We import a lot of components and raw materials which are needed for manufacturing etc. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove but it shows a fundamental ignorance of how the economy works.
Quite the opposite Annie, do you think the businessmen and citizens of those countries who export to the second most populated country in Europe are going to sit still while the bureaucracy of the EU use them as pawns in an economic game of chess while trying to teach us a lesson for daring to leave the EU....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's not my chart Annie. Go take it up with FullFact.org if you don't like it.
It's your commentary that I was referring to.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 10:58 PM

If we can't import plants from Holland a lot of garden centres are going to struggle.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
If we can't import plants from Holland a lot of garden centres are going to struggle.
Not exactly Armageddon stuff,tbh!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-02-2019, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Quite the opposite Annie, do you think the businessmen and citizens of those countries who export to the second most populated country in Europe are going to sit still while the bureaucracy of the EU use them as pawns in an economic game of chess while trying to teach us a lesson for daring to leave the EU....
OGF I don't get the point you are making. We have always been reliant on imports. That isn't going to change after Brexit. In fact we have said we will make it easier to import by slashing tariffs & waiving checks. So I don't see how the EU will have anything to lose.

But if we make imports easy but the export side is hurt then that means problems for us. We need free trade agreements to function as an economy. Making this an "us and them" debate is completely ridiculous and warped. We are part of a global economy. Something some people fail to understand.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top