Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 10:17 PM

Re: "A recent study has shown...?

Seriously? Well well, I was going to stick a Fray Bentos pie in the oven - now I think I'll put two in instead!!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
Seriously? Well well, I was going to stick a Fray Bentos pie in the oven - now I think I'll put two in instead!!
HA HA HA You sound just like My Laird.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 07:42 AM

Studies have shown that 42.5% of statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 09:11 AM

The questions that needs to be asked about these studies are:

1. who paid for the study to be undertaken???
2. Since no study is conducted without some idea of the results - what were the expected results, i.e what were they TRYING to prove???
3. What financial connection was there been those paying for the study and those actually conducting such study.
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 07:24 PM

Absolutely agree, "Lies damn Lies and statistics" I don't bother to listen to them any more, even though we have an "office for national statistics " that we as tax payers pay for. Statistics will say what ever you want or disprove whatever you want absolute rubbish. I have just proved statistically that the time it has taken me to type this reply my bottle of 500 ml of Badgers Furstey Ferret has gone down by a fifth.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 11:39 PM

The "Liberation Treatment" for Multiple Sclerosis is useless, and a good example of how having "Dr" in front of one's name and presenting a lot of medical terminology in a published abstract can mislead the media and the public.

There was sooooo much hype over this, that I asked my neurologist (I'll call him Dr. K) about it. He asked if I had a few minutes (of course) and used his computer to navigate to Dr. Zamboni's own abstract on the internet. Dr. K asked me kindly if I was good with statistics and I admitted no, I'm not. He then patiently explained in laymans' terms the information we were looking at. Following the opening of obstructed veins in the necks of MS patients using Dr. Zamboni's technique, 86% of the patients continued to decline. It does not halt MS nor cure it - but somehow the media hyped it up, patients spent tens of thousands of dollars to travel to clinics for the procedure and it has just recently been shown as ineffective. Nobody else gets results when trying to duplicate the 'cure'.

Good thread, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top