Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 01:51 PM

Washing machine

In February I bought a new washing machine, my 13 year plus one finally decided to retire. I bought a Daewoo 9kg load machine, it was delivered and installed. Half an hour later I had to call them back because I was washing 2 dog blankets on the quick wash, well it was banging and whining, scared me to death. The men came back and told me it was because the blankets were thick (they were only small) and they soaked up the water thereby causing the machine to bump and bang because it couldn't distribute the load.

I then had to call them back again, this time I was told it was because the floor in the building where the machine is was smooth causing the machine to move.

Mr Clumsy then put wooden planks under the machine, tested the stability etc etc all okay. Put washing in, two sheets, 4 pillowcases put on cotton wash, 1 hr 25 mins, gets to spin cycle, bang, bang bang, machine moving down the shed. It also whined continually like a starter motor that didn't want to start. I phoned whilst the machine was going, took the phone to the machine and asked if they could hear it, they could. 10 minutes later the 2 men who installed it arrived, this time they decide it definitely has a bad fault and say they'll put out a call for the service engineer.

Today I've been to the shop where it was purchased and told them no service engineer, I want this machine out and a replacement. Why should I have a service engineer to no doubt take the machine away, put new parts in and bring it back? This is a brand new machine costing 400 euros and hasn't been right since it was installed in February. Anyway it was agreed they would take it away and let me choose another one but this won't be until next week now as we have all the Semana Santa goings on now so lots of red days and lots of not working.

I hope Daewoo make better cars than they do washing machines !
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 02:47 PM

Re: Washing machine

Shame about the machine and hope the new one works. I was surpised you got a 9kg machine. I get a 12kg one as it is so easy to overload if you have some heavy things like dog blankets etc to put in. I always buy
a Zanusi as they have always died of old age.
On the guide book for my machine it gives you the different cycles the
machine does and also how much water it uses. Just wondered if you
are not getting enough water in the machine as well as it being a wonky one?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Agree with you Sandy - Zanussi, very good....
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 04:37 PM

It really shouldn't matter what make you buy... so long as it isn't a cheap tinny thing! It's a washing machine - it is supposed to wash clothes and blankets, let alone sheets and pillow cases
How on earth would you wash bath sheets? I think you were very unlucky and got a duff machine
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 04:44 PM

I think you have had bad luck with your washing machine. I dont think it matter what make you have. We have had our washing machine now for 16 years and we wash the cats blankets all the time in it . The only time it makes any sort of clanking noise is when i put my husbands slippers in to wash them, then i expect it to.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Some makes are more reliable than others - as with all things, I think some companies have too many irons in the fire. Hope all goes well with the replacement machine.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Trainers are all that make my machine clank and it sounds like the poor thing is being kicked to death by my husbands size 12s !

We have a cheap make too and it is not too bad, maybe not as good as a zanussi but we couldn't afford one of those so went with a cheapie from argos and it works a treat.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

27-03-2013, 04:53 PM

Yep - agree with that, its not always the price that says its a good un. We bought a cheap vacuum from Comet, it has been fantastic !
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 04:58 PM

Couple of possiblities i found via google.

, Inside you have a big lump of concrete,not a lie,a bolt
runs through this and a nut tightens block down for balance,
sometimes this nut comes loose and want tightening with
ring or box spanner this has happened twice with my machines.
you have to remove top of washer.

There is a friction part of the washer that is attached to the top of the tub that slides and rubs to keep that from happening. (the snubber). Quick cure is to put less in the machine and to open the lid and redistribute the load inside if it starts to do that.

Best solution is to replace the snubber. Pivot the machine top up and look at the top of the tub in there. You will see a heavy spring that is pressing a piece that looks like a small hockey puck onto the tub top. It typically has two screws holding it in place. Take it out and bring it in to a general appliance repair place like Sears or the one for your brand or go on the internet to www.repairclinic.com to get a replacement snubber. Put in in there and replace the screws and it should be good again.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Send the machine back if they dont come for it deliver it and tell them you will wait in the shop till they replace it, you are going nowhere.Play there game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top