Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Re: Suspended coffee - started in Italy

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Perhaps look at it from the side of someone who has no home or food then you may get it.
Julie. Some people have no empathy with the plight of others.

I have heard of this kind practise and it shows what is in the hearts of some people.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
They could buy a meal with what a place like Starbucks charges for their coffee, so no I don't get it!
Nobody said "Starbucks". It started with small independent coffee shops.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Here's a comment from a blog on the same topic.

Coffee isn’t a very nutritious food for the hungry. If you want to buy a coffee for someone in need, here’s a wacky idea: carry a few small-balance gift cards in your pocket for people who seem hungry and cold. Look toward something marginally more nutritious than coffee: hand out cards with a $5 or $10 balance to ubiquitous quick-serve or fast-food places like Subway or Taco Bell.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:05 PM

I'm a bit off track here but we had a tramp who 'lived' on a bit of green in a local town.
He was an ex-soldier, he wore his medals with pride. He was often bought soup and a cake etc., from local people.
He died a while ago, and there is a small memorial where he 'lived' of flowers, now artificial ones and other bits. I don't know who put it up but I find it heartwarming to see it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:37 PM

...heartwarming indeed. Used to be a similar guy in the high street, played harmonica - I always gave him a few bob, his eyes were the windows to his soul - he was so grateful - would always give a poem he had written... I often think of him, he certainly made an impression...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 08:24 PM

We were homeless our selves years ago for nearly a year, lived in our car. The kindness of others was often very touching and I remember every person who helped us or even just a kind word was treasured.

Coffee may not be nutritious, you may be able to get a meal in another place but we would have thought the world of someone who did this for us.

Most treasured were those who helped with dog food as we had our old Benny dog living in the car with us.

Took us a year to get back into a flat and even then it was a wood building much like a shed but we loved it. Council helped us from there with the flat we currently live in.

Nearly 30 years ago and we still remember the people who cared enough to help us.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Absolutely lovely post Julie.... some will remember you too...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top