Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 08:55 PM

A plea! Non smoker.....

Smoking is banned indoors in most places, yet garden bonfires are allowed. Every time there's a nice day when people want to hang out washing, sit in the garden or kids want to play outside or just have the windows open, someone lights a garden bonfire! We have re-cycling of garden waste in most places now, yet still the pyromaniacs have to send their toxic smoke, containing who knows what, into our houses!
You could at least leave a smoke filled pub, but when it's seeping through your windows, you can't avoid it.
Please, fellow gardeners, think before you light.
Complaining about repeat offenders to the council has no affect despite clean air, smoke nuisance laws.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 10:54 PM

Re: A plea! Non smoker.....

I thought garden fires couldn't be lit until after 6pm?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2013, 11:50 PM

Hello Twizzle.
All burning of anything in the front or back garden is banned over here at all times, a fine of 3,000 Euro's or 12 months in the nick for offenders.
Something slightly related to that.
The bin chargers keep going up rapidly over here in Dublin, thousands of people can't afford them and some have resorted to dumping their waste in plastic bags in the cities many alleys and lanes, the removal of these bags costs the council 3/4 of a million euro's PER DAY, the same council who sacked all their binmen and gave the job to private companies because they said it was costing too much at the time, now its costing them twice as much and private enterprise is making all the dosh, funny old World.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 05:07 AM

There's no need for garden fires anymore with the number of recycling bins we have !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 09:16 AM

I haven't seen a fire in a garden here for at least a decade. Ironic considering 20/30 years ago every house would have an incinerator in the back garden to burn their rubbish. Most BBQs are gas too.

I think if you lit a fire now the fire brigade would appear, it is just never done in suburbia.

Still done out in the bush of course especially now that camp ovens are so popular.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 09:56 AM

We get the odd garden fire during the summer and it is annoying if you have just put a wash out. I also thought you could not light a fire until after 6 pm. Some people take no notice of laws if it interferes with what they want to do.

A couple of weekends ago because it was nice a garden near us had a bbq i had to run in and close the windows and back door as they must have burnt something because of the smoke that went up. It made me smile as no one at the bbq seemed overly bothered by the smoke going up. Takes all sorts.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Saturday and Sunday were both blighted by bonfires, stunk the house out!
Unfortunately a neighbour thinks he can do as he likes, several people have complained but he's so nasty to them they've given up.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Saturday and Sunday were both blighted by bonfires, stunk the house out!
Unfortunately a neighbour thinks he can do as he likes, several people have complained but he's so nasty to them they've given up.
I'm a bit rusty on UK laws but from dredging this dusty, cobwebby memory of mine, I thought that if you had three independent people (not of the same family) putting in a complaint to the local council, they had to act on it? Maybe that's changed but it's worth looking into if it's causing so much distress.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 11:50 AM

Our Council has banned bonfires. But some people's barbeques are worse than bonfires especially those that do jerk chicken and such like. It's foul.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

14-05-2013, 03:49 PM

He's had warnings apparently, which he ignores. Not much else we can do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top