Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Re: A plea! Non smoker.....

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
Our Council has banned bonfires. But some people's barbeques are worse than bonfires especially those that do jerk chicken and such like. It's foul.
I agree with you Moyra - I think some BBQs can smell worse than bonfires, I don't know what my neighbour cooks but I thank goodness I'm not inivted to eat any of it; whatever it is, it smells as though it should have been eaten a few weeks prior!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 06:09 PM

I know how annoyed you feel Twizzle, we never burn anything either, as we compost what we can, and what we can't goes to the council skip for composting. Shame some of our neighbours can't do the same.....
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

15-05-2013, 01:24 AM

well a long hosepipe directed on the said fire from over the hedge may do the trick?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 03:24 AM

Sorry Twizzle - that never occurred to me.

We just moved here in December so we had no idea how much deadfall was under the snow. Spring cleaning has meant raking and picking up a lot of branches from a great willow tree and we are drying it all before burning it in batches, only in the evening and not on windy days.

It's dry so it burns fairly clean with a bit of wood smoke, nothing that should be going into the composter. We are allowed to light fires in the back but not the front yard, and a fire pit must be used. Nobody has had a roaring bonfire going, and I haven't notice any strong BBQ smells yet.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 10:33 AM

the best bonfires smoulder for days, I cannot have one due to the risk of smoke blowing across the road and blinding motorists.
I actually like the smell of bonfires, but compost all soft weeds and vegetable peelings, and visit the council recycling centre with garden rubbish that cannot be composted.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Our council used to collect garden waste for free. Guess what - they now charge for it, and people are starting to set fire to their clippings. Doesn't smell any worse than the disgusting greasy pong of the multitude of barbies that fire up at the first sign of sunshine round here. Hopefully it'll be the normal UK summer.
windhound
Surrey,UK
windhound is female 

15-05-2013, 05:53 PM

I have really nice next door neighbours(they put up with my dogs) but the husband is a retired fireman,and I think that he is a frustrated pyromaniac! Recently he chopped down a tree in his garden and then made a bonfire with it,it took 3 days to finally burn down,I couldn't go outside as it set me off coughing each time. I wanted to say something but they are so nice,I think if he had come into my house,it might stop him in future.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 09:14 PM

We Brits haven't got a clue about barbies, in S.Africa we used to keep the flames under control with beer, (shake the can & spray it) that gave it a lovely smell! Burning green wood can produce toxic fumes, didn't that kill some settlers in America?
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 11:06 PM

Windhound when you say they put up with your dogs ? what exactly do you mean? as to me a yapping dog especially next door is far worse than a Bonfire and I hate them too.
Round here people start them first thing on a lovely sunny day and as I have asthma I shut all the windows and have to stay indoors, there should be a law that says NO BONFIRES AT ALL. we manage to take our garden rubbish down the local refuse place, or failing that most councils will take it away.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Here, here, you would be allowed to smoke in other peoples' houses so why invade their houses with smoke! It's just selfish and horrible! Others have a right to enjoy their homes and gardens.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top