Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Unusual veg?

Is anyone planning to grow anything unusual this year?

I have tinda and karela this year. I am not sure how much luck I will have, but my friend's mother (she's Burmese) makes a fab pickle out of karela so I hope they grow
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 09:32 PM

Re: Unusual veg?

I did try water melon this year but I doubt I will be as adventurous next year.
The melons and butternut squash were a disaster really. Very small and tasteless
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Funky Farmer ->
I did try water melon this year but I doubt I will be as adventurous next year.
The melons and butternut squash were a disaster really. Very small and tasteless
Oh no. I really really wanted to grow butternut squash too.
Watch this space
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
Oh no. I really really wanted to grow butternut squash too.
Watch this space
I think part of the reason is when I go to harvest for six weeks they don't get looked after properly. They do need copious, regular watering.Well, that's what I put it down to! Of course it could be because I'm a rubbish gardener
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

22-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Funky Farmer ->
I think part of the reason is when I go to harvest for six weeks they don't get looked after properly. They do need copious, regular watering.Well, that's what I put it down to! Of course it could be because I'm a rubbish gardener
yes I think they are thirsty plants
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
I have tinda and karela this year. I am not sure how much luck I will have, but my friend's mother (she's Burmese) makes a fab pickle out of karela so I hope they grow
What are the English names for those PPH? I think they're meant to be good for you?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 03:54 AM

Well, sort of depends on what you consider unusual. I've grown Chinese chives, okra (beautiful flowers, you could grow it in a flower bed), and Chinese adzuki beans. Haven't really thought about what I'm planting this year; yard is so small I don't have much space to experiment.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 10:08 AM

I don't have any bother with the butternuts and I'm afraid I'm not a fan of watering ... if they're healthy and have a decent root structure they should pull up their own water supply
I've got some salad leaves with exotic names and have about 5 varieties of exotic tomato, from our visit to the tomato festival (Paul - do a search on tomato festival to see my pics and account from this wonderful event in The Loire this summer!)
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

23-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
What are the English names for those PPH? I think they're meant to be good for you?

The tinda, also called Indian round gourd or apple gourd or Indian Baby Pumpkin is what I turned up on google. Karela is also know as the bitter gourd or bitter melon (and it is very bitter) it is supposed to be good for diabetics - I think I read somewhere it controls blood sugar
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

23-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Well, sort of depends on what you consider unusual. I've grown Chinese chives, okra (beautiful flowers, you could grow it in a flower bed), and Chinese adzuki beans. Haven't really thought about what I'm planting this year; yard is so small I don't have much space to experiment.
I've got okra - a burgundy variety. Wish me luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top