Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 05:29 PM

A new Garden worry for me!

At work today I was trying to tidy-up a tree that produces loads of suckers plus low-level shoots and it does look an awful mess now.

The only way to do this is manually and lucky I did too.

It takes rather longer than I thought but if you do a job right you expect that but anyway, there I was after nearly two hours, on my hands and knees pulling out debris, leaves and twigs when suddenly I see four little pink things and they're moving!

It was a baby hedgehog and I had pulled it out of what was obviously a nest where he / she and his / her brother / sister were hidden.

I'm not kidding when I say these babies were tiny, they were about the size of a small nail brush - looked liked one too - about 4 inches long and the spines are white but black at the roots and those little pink feet....

Putting the one I had disturbed carefully back in the nest I noticed that its eyes are still closed and so 's the other one's eyes - They are THAT young!

I placed it back where I'd disturbed it and watched it snuggle back down with its sibling - so cute!

Of course I had to replace all the "bedding" around them and make sure I hadn't hurt them - difficult when they are so small but they seemed fine.

I've piled twigs, leaves and dry moss back around them and left a tunnel of sorts into the nest for Mum but now I'm worried in case she doesn't come back to feed them.

I won't sleep well tonight - I know that!

In 2012 it was a baby stoat I found around the back and in 2011 a deer!

The stoat was fine once I wrapped him up in dry moss etc. and left him under the conifer hedge - saw him three days later, with Mum - I'll swear she brought him out for me to see he was OK!

The deer was difficult as it was so nervous of humans.
I left a bowl of water for it but in the end I had to lay on the grass for quite a while trying to coax it to drink, which it did eventually - the traffic noise made it hard.

I got it to follow me after a while but it bolted as we got to the road but luckily it got over safely.

Last year a doe came into the garden - I did wonder if it was the same animal because it didn't leg-it when I went out. stevmk2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Re: A new Garden worry for me!

I think that gardener`s are just nice people. Some would regard rats and mice as vermin. I have rebuilt nests after emptying a compost bin more than once
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 06:09 PM

I hope they will be ok Steve, it is quite late in the year for baby hedgehogs .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I hope they will be ok Steve, it is quite late in the year for baby hedgehogs .

Aah, poor little mites Steve. I do hope they survive, but like Meg says, it does seem late in the year. I believe they need to be about 600 -650 grms to be able to survive a winter outside. Keep us posted.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 06:02 AM

I can only think it must be her second litter and they won't survive the winter now Steve, so is there a rescue centre anywhere around that you could take the youngsters?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I can only think it must be her second litter and they won't survive the winter now Steve, so is there a rescue centre anywhere around that you could take the youngsters?
Got me worried now PM.

According to tiggywinkles, June to September is the time they'll have young so as it's still quite warm I think the Mum must have worked it out - animals get a better feel of weather than we do.

However, the more I work out in the garden at work and at home the more I see indications that it'll be a while yet before the temperatures return to normal for the time of year.

I reckon end of October myself.

Anyway, I digress. I was tempted to have a look but I left things where either Mum would go under the cover or over it and it looks to me that she's gone over it.

Anything else looking would have dug it out I think so I'm hoping they're fine.

I feel like I'm their Dad now!

Well that's it now - I'm off tomorrow so I won't be checking them 'til Monday now.

Didn't sleep last night either - daft b***er!! stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Steve, is the Ark Wildlife Hospital near you?

http://www.helpwildlife.co.uk/0356.php

If you are worried about these little ones, maybe your wife could phone them and explain the situation with the baby hedgehogs and they may offer suggestions or even come out to collect them to keep in their hospital until they are old enough to be released.

A comment from their site ...

We found a baby hedgehog thin, and looking for food during the day, we called you guys for help and came out in 1/2 an hour, Fantastic service, well done for all your hard work and all that you do for the wildlife
Just a thought
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2014, 07:33 PM

I can understand your reticence to interfere Steve, but at this time of year they've certainly got to pack on some fat before the frosts come if they are to survive their hibernation.... a sanctuary really could be the saving of them rather than leaving it to chance do you think...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

19-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I can understand your reticence to interfere Steve, but at this time of year they've certainly got to pack on some fat before the frosts come if they are to survive their hibernation.... a sanctuary really could be the saving of them rather than leaving it to chance do you think...
Yeah, maybe you are right PM.

When I accidentally disturbed them the other day, the one that I pulled completely out was quite healthy-looking; little fat tummy on him / her too but if they're looking under nourished I'll have to do something.

I'll have a quick look on Monday and if they are still fine I'll leave them but I'll ask my manager to contact a sanctuary that has a rescue centre for hedgehogs. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

26-09-2014, 01:21 PM

I forgot to update this; the baby hedgehogs (urchins as they are known!) were gone on Monday and I'm pretty certain only another hedgehog went in there as my camouflaging was barely disturbed.

Although the urchins were blind & helpless the Mum must have moved them.

The thing is that there's another nest-sized hole which nearby that I also covered up and that looked disturbed too so they may be in there now!

I decided against taking a peek though. stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top