Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Orchid and Amaryllis

Both the orchid and amaryllis are in full bloom now which adds a warm, brightness indoors compared to the cold white 'stuff' outside....

Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Re: Orchid and Amaryllis

Looks lovely Mags
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 04:09 PM

They're looking good Mags.
Now I have got the hang of the orchid thing (ie - ignore them!) my two plants seem to be taking it in turns to flower. I've not been without a flower in the house for months and months
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
They're looking good Mags.
Now I have got the hang of the orchid thing (ie - ignore them!) my two plants seem to be taking it in turns to flower. I've not been without a flower in the house for months and months
Thanks DM I repotted mine last year, cut out all the dead stuff in the roots and it has produced bigger flowers this year.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 05:18 PM

Stunning, Mags! Lovely to see them; brighten up the day.

DM, benign neglect seems to work with the amaryllis too; I just put them outside for the Summer, rarely feed them, and I have buds on 5 old ones and one on the new one I got at Christmas. Can't wait for blooms; pics will appear in due course.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 06:06 PM

Beautiful Mags, I'm not very familiar with Orchids although my Mum has got one indoors. I've been told they're quite difficult to grow, is that true?. I know Amarylis are mainly bought at Christmas and do you have to keep them in the dark all through the year so you can use them again the following Christmas?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

13-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Beautiful Mags, I'm not very familiar with Orchids although my Mum has got one indoors. I've been told they're quite difficult to grow, is that true?. I know Amarylis are mainly bought at Christmas and do you have to keep them in the dark all through the year so you can use them again the following Christmas?
Thanks Alicat

Last year was the first year I grew orchids and they are unbelievably easy to grow ....... just be careful not to overwater them. You ought to give them a go, the flowers last for ages

Amaryllis are also very easy to grow from bulb, though saying that I haven't yet managed to get one to flower the following year. Dandysmom knows the secret of how to do that though!

Regarding keeping them in the dark, I think perhaps you may be getting confused with the Poinsettia which has to be kept in the dark for it to produce its lovely coloured bracts the following Christmas.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 07:25 PM

I love Orchids, very pretty.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 08:27 PM

How lovely Mags, well done for getting your orchid to bloom again...
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks Alicat

Last year was the first year I grew orchids and they are unbelievably easy to grow ....... just be careful not to overwater them. You ought to give them a go, the flowers last for ages

Amaryllis are also very easy to grow from bulb, though saying that I haven't yet managed to get one to flower the following year. Dandysmom knows the secret of how to do that though!

Regarding keeping them in the dark, I think perhaps you may be getting confused with the Poinsettia which has to be kept in the dark for it to produce its lovely coloured bracts the following Christmas.
Thanks Mags, I'll tell my Mum not to over water her orchid. They are certainly beautiful flowers. Yes, you were right, I was thinking of the Poinsettia. I'm not very high up with house plants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top